Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

We have a Frigidaire Heavy Duty, extra large capacity, 3/4

Customer Question

We have a Frigidaire Heavy Duty, extra large capacity, 3/4 horse power, 2 speed combination washer-dryer. During each spin cycle, the machine knocks very, very, very loud. The first cycle is the loudest and we have no idea how to stop the noise. Can you provide us with any ideas?

Jim and Lucille Beckman [email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your washer dryer..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What additional information do you need? . . . or if you need no more information, where will I find the answer to my question? How do I eliminate the knocking in my washing mashine spin cycle?

Jim Beckman
Is the drum spinning out of balance also as to where the machine is out of control..?.Is this the first time using this washer..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The machine does not seem to be out of balance. It does not shake like it's out of balance. We have been using the machine for two years, but it's located in a second winter-home where we live only about four months out of the year. During the first year it did not make much noise but it's gotten worse over the past few months and it's really bad, almost unbearable, now.

Jim Beckman
IS the sound coming from the back middle area..Or from the bottom front right side...Is it a grinding sound..?..Does this happen when the wash cycle it on..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The sound seems to be coming from the middle of the machine as best we can determine. It's a loud knocking sound (like a hammering sound), not a grinding sound. It only knocks in the spin cycle and does not knock at all in the wash cycle.

Jim Beckman
What is the model number please..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's Frigidaire Model FEX831CS0, Serial XE64607244. The washer is on the bottom and the dryer is on the top of this combination model.

Jim Beckman
Ok good model number..From what you are explaining most likely the sound is the bearing..#26...The transmission shaft runs through the bear ...Once it wares the spin is no longer in tolerance...More noticeably at a higher rate of speed..

graphic
Please accept my answer or let me know if you have any further questions..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think the bearing needs replacement? It is only two years old.

Jim Beckman
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jim Beckman
It depends upon how much the unit was used and not abused.....Your problem may also be the washer brake assembly..Its job is to smoothly stop the tub once is finishes the spin cycle....If the tub is jerking to a stop then the brake assembly maybe hanging up..Best thing to do is remove the front panel..Run the unit then inspect for where the sound is actually coming from..Removing the panel will give you a better idea..