Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Refrigerator ice maker will not stop working even when shut

Refrigerator ice maker will not stop working even when shut off arm is up.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Inside the refrigerator on one of the walls or on the ceiling there is a tag with the full model number can you get that for me?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have looked, but can't find it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay how old is this? It may be on the bottom behind the plastic grill under the doors if you open the doors and pull the plastic grill off there may be a tag their, if it's an older model which I think is because a new a models have a different type arm on the icemaker I believe your model number will probably be down there, let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay let me take a look at this I did find the model thank you, XXXXX XXXXX has the metal arm that you left to shut the icemaker off correct?This I'm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay in looking at the icemaker itself the diagrams your problem is gonna be one of two things, either one of the switches inside the icemaker assembly is bad or the arm lever part number 863 is broken, this is what hits the switches when the arm is lifted up, that part is no longer available, the switches however are, you will need to test the switches which requires taking the entire icemaker apart, this is tricky and getting it back together can be a pain in the neck, here is a diagram, the switches are part number 857, the switch you want to check will be the one that part 863 hits as the arm goes up, here is the diagram, in most cases because these are so difficult to tear apart most people replace the icemaker itself, with the new style icemaker, this is $137.35 if you wish to replace it, like I said if it's a problem with the arm number 863 I don't believe that's available any longer but this is a metal arm so I doubt that's the problem, if you wish to buy the icemaker itself here is a link to order it, because this is an older refrigerator and icemaker you are probably better off replacing the whole icemaker to avoid further issues down the line, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan