Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my gibson stove will not turn off the bottom burner gets red

my gibson stove will not turn off the bottom burner gets red hot had to turn off the breaker

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do i find the model #
is this a free standing or wall oven?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its a slide in so i guess its a free standing
does it have a bottom drawer? if so open that and there should be a tag .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok let me check
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
heres the #gef355bfoa
ok great, the bake relay on the control is welded shut, the problem is you cant replace just the relay you will need to replace the control. there is one other thing you can check before replacing this though, its the oven temp sensor. you will need a volt ,meter for this heres a video to show you how to test this, click this blue link, if the sensor checks out order and replace the control, heres a link to order the control, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the oven temp sensor
This sticks through the back wall inside the oven, if you open your door and look on the back wall in the oven near the top you will see it, usually there are two screws holding it in you need to take the screws out and slowly pull the sensor towards you until you get the wire out where it connects, there will be a plug you can unplug to test it, just don't let the wire fall back down and the hole once you unplug it, sometimes the plug could get caught so be careful and work it through, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how about the bake relay control location
Okay sorry I had to step away from the computer, the bake relay is on the main control board which is essentially the clock, so if testing the sensor and it tests good then you will need to replace the clock control, the part I showed you above, that is the part where you push the buttons to set the oven and clock and so on, it has a keypad we you press in your numbers to set the tempo and all that, that will need to be replaced if the sensor is good, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok only one more thing is it possible that i have to remove the back cover to remove thetemp sensor all i see is the probe sticking out of the upper left corner of the oven
no screws? holding the sensor? then yes you may have to go in through the back, make sure the power is off before servicing, a lot of times in some of the older ranges they go in through the back, if that's the case you can take the back panel off and unplug the sensor and test it right in place, no need to really remove it if you can get to the plug for the sensor,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so your telling me that the circut board has to be replaced if the sensor is good
yes , there are only two parts that control the heating element in the bottom, it's usually not the sensor that goes however but it's possible so test that first, if it tests good then the circuit board needs to be replaced which is actually the clock assembly, the relay is on the circuit board and you cannot replace that separately unfortunately, well wishes and thanks, Bryan