Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

Good Morning! Weve had our Crosley dryer (model #CGDS563SQ0)

Customer Question

Good Morning!

We've had our Crosley dryer (model #CGDS563SQ0) for about 5 years now and it has worked flawlessly up until just recently. I just replaced the "Cycling Thermostat" and the "One Time Use Thermal Fuse", but we are still not getting heat throughout the drying cycle. I have verified that the dryer vent is clean and has no obstructions. We've not moved the dryer location since installation, although I have moved it out regularly to clean the venting. We've also had the "gas-man" take a look at the burner and he says it appears to be working fine.
Here are the symptoms:
When we start the dryer, the gas ignites and runs for several minutes. At some point during the drying cycle, the gas does not turn back on and it simply tumbles and blows cold air unless we remove the vent hose (see below). When it is on a "timed" cycle, the timer will run for the designated time, but the clothes do not get dry for the reasons stated above with vent hose in place. When we run it on the "automatic" side, the timer never advances, even after 4 hours. We have been able to get the clothes dry by completely removing the vent hose and just letting the dryer vent into the laundry room, but even when they do dry in this manner, the "auto-cycle" does not advance.
Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.
So with the vent off the heat cycles on and off normally is that right ?

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The heat cycles, but the timer does not advance in the "auto" mode.
Do you have good strong air flow exiting the vent outside the house ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It certainly seems so. I've cleaned and verified that there are no restrictions to the flow. We've had the same ducting conviguration for the 12 years we've been in the home. When the dryer is running, I've gone out and checked the flaps on the external vent and they are moving freely. I've even removed the cover just in case it was causing a slight restriction.
Ok when the vent is on do you know if the ignitor continues to glow after the heat has gone off ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know. Can I view this by removing the back? I'm currently not near the dryer, but will be in an hour or so. I would guess that the gas-man checked that out, but not sure. All indications tend to lead to a plugged vent, but with the exception of a short piece of flexible foil tubing from the dryer to the vent in the floor, it is all solid tin connections. I have a 90 degree elbow coming out of the back of the dryer, into a 16" section of flex tubing and down onto the vent. It then takes another 90 degree turn and then about 4 feet of straight pipe to the outside.
There is a little plastic plug on the front in the lower left corner you can look through there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will it be okay for me to check this out when I get home? How long will you be available?
I have a engagement I have to attend in a hour so if I'm not here I will be back tomorrow morning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sounds fine. Thanks for your help thus far.
Make it an incredible day!
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Tom,

My apologies for not getting back with you sooner. We were gone for the weekend and I didn't get a chance to do a thorough test of the ignitor as you suggested. When I returned home on Friday, my wife had just finished coaxing it through another load. I did have a few minutes to pull off the view plug and try to restart the dryer. Although the clothes were mostly dry, the dryer was completely cooled off. I tried to restart the dryer and I noticed that the ignitor would begin to glow for a few seconds and then went right back off. The flame never did reignite. I'm not sure if that is enough information for you to go on, but I plan on doing a better test when I go home for lunch today.
So sorry for the delay.
From what you just told me the gas valve coils need to be replaced. They sit on the top of the gas valve just in front of the igniter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wonderful!

Just a couple more quick questions.

Is that something that a person with moderate technical / mechanical skills should be able to change out? Where would I purchase these parts?
Yes it is easy to do. They are just held with a bracket and a couple screws. They slide on and off. You can get them at your local appliance parts store.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We live in a rural community so I order most of my parts online. I was just checking out "Partselect.com" and they show two parts. 1) Two Terminal Gas Valve Coil and 2) Secondary Coil Valve, 3 Terminal. It appears that I should test them for continuity to determine which one is faulty. Or would you recommend just changing them both out?
Always change them both.

Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you SO MUCH!
Your assistance is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
I will gladly "Accept Answer" immediately.

Once I've replaced the parts and the dryer is working, (which I'm confident that it will) is there an opportunity for me to follow up with rating your great assistance? This is obviously the first time I've had the privilege of using this service. I can assure you that it won't be the last!

Thanks again for your help.
Yes you can leave feed back. You are welcome.