Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

My mother has a Kenmore bottom freezer refridgerator Model

My mother has a Kenmore bottom freezer refridgerator Model C978-70802-1. The problem is that over the past 6 months the pan and drain tube inside the "guts" of the fridge are no longer draining water. I have checked the tube leading to the evap tray - no blockage there. The water accumulates and freezes on the pan at such a depth that it then stops the blades of the fan from turning. The freezer continues to work, but without the airflow up into the fridge, the fridge stops cooling. I have had to dismantle the bottom panel of the fridge every 15-20 days and melt the ice leading to the drain pipe to keep the fridge working. We have had 2 repairmen in to see the problem, and they belive it's a design flaw. I read on line that there is a supplenetary heater that could be wired into the defrost heater to ensure that the water stays liquid long enough to drain to the evaporation pan. Any advice? You can call me @ (XXX) XXX-XXXX

tom goellner :

The model number you sent comes up as an invalid number . Kenmore models start with 3 numbers , then a period , then 6 or 7 more numbers.

tom goellner :

There is an aftermarket heater - it's round with 3 small probes that fit into the drain hole in the drain trough and wire into the defrost heater - a 3 watt 120 volt heater , made by SUPCO and part number SH250 . You can get from most any appliance parts store.

Customer:

Thanks. I called a local appliance repair shop, and they haven't heard of Supco. I went on line and found the product - just as you described.The confusion regarding the Kenmore # XXXXX be because we live in Canada - bought the fridge from Sears Canada. Would that make any diffrence?

Customer:

The local repair shop has not heard of Supco. However, I did find the product on line, just as you described. Do you know of any other manafacures that sell this type of product? The confusion regarding the Model number may be due to the fact that we live in Canada, and the fridge was bought from Sears Canada.

tom goellner :

OK that's why it did not come up - Canadian but you can certainly use the Supco part . I've used it many times with good results

Customer:

The website says to wire it in "series". I understand the difference between series and paralleI. But to be clear, I would understand that to be to disconnect the wire at one end of the defrost heater and connect it to one wire from the Supco heater and the other Supco wire back to the power source......... Hopefully the product would come with a wiring diagram.

tom goellner :

No it wires paralell to the heater it comes with instructions