Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag refrig. model MFD256OHES. For a few days the fridge

Maytag refrig. model MFD256OHES. For a few days the fridge was buzzing from the back. Last nigh the top fridge part is warm and the bottom freezer is fine. There is no frost anywhere inside the unit. I am defrosting now but not clear as to what to do next...

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

if you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the bottom access panel you will see the compressor, (black ball) on the side of it is the start relay. you can replace this yourself, it just plugs on the 3 posts on the side of the compressor. can you get me the serial # ? they had a huge recall I'll see if yours is on the list. thanks Bryan

The buzzing is the compressor start relay that failed,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have the back panel off (nofrost anywhere) and here is the numbers on the compressor.
made in brazil
ok but inside the refrigerator section with the model # XXXXX will also be a serial # XXXXX # XXXXX the compressor is just for the compressor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry bud. i though you wanted the compressor sn.
thanks again
ok as far as I can see yours isnt on the recall list, this means you will need to replace this yourself. you can order this at the following blue link, all you need to do is unplug the refrigerator and take a flat head screw driver and pry it off the side of the compressor, go easy though dont bend the compressor posts, then plug the new one back on, pretty simple, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks again..
i pulled the starter/relay out and it looks abit different from the part you recommended i get.
the serial number is XXXXX
also, it rattles when you shake it.. is that a sign it is the culprit?
if it rattles is bad for sure, that one I showed you is the new replacment, the part # XXXXX 67005560, and this link is the correct part, good job, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Again,
I have now replaced the relay/start switch on the compressor. When I plugged the unit back in the compressor clicked on and the fan (evaporator?) was working as well. Still, same problem...
The freezer on the bottom is working fine but no cold air is coming through the open damper.
What's next?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I open another help request?
sorry I was offline. so the compressor is running now and theres no air going into the refrigerator section at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct. There was no frost on the panel but the coils had some frost on them. My later thinking is that the relay was already going out but we left the door slightly open which frosted the coils and then wore out the relay you suggested I replace. Will defrosting and drying out the coils be the final fix?
well I would defrost the coils and put the panel back on then see if you get airflow, let me know. thanks Bryan