Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

I want to extend a dryer vent approx 4 ft to accommodate a

Customer Question

I want to extend a dryer vent approx 4 ft to accommodate a stackable dryer. As the the venting already goes 20 ft and has 2 x 90 degree elbows, I can't just use flexible duct. I plan to put the venting in the wall. The wall an exterior wall (leads to garage) so it has insulation and vapor brier.
-What kind of venting should I use?
-How do I tie it in place?
-Is it alright to have the venting go in and out of the vapor barrier if I seal it with tuck tape and acoustic sealant?
-Should I replace the insulation with a Styrofoam board?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SparePartsPro replied 5 years ago.
Hi There

You can buy a 'Through the wall vent kit' that comprises of two end fittings and a length of 4" vent pipe.
If you cut say a 6" hole in the wall then lay the 4" pipe in to it you can fill the gap with expandable foam.
Then screw your end plates on and seal them with silicon sealant.
Now fit the hose end fittings to each end and you are good to make a connection with your existing vent pipe system.

regards Tony

Thank you for using Just Answer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the wall is full of fiberglass insulation and I can't add any more 90 degree bends due to the distance it has to vent. I plan to extend it through the 2X6 plate at the base of the wall, then up top the 4 ft height where the elbow will bring it through the drywall. I will seal eather end with vapor barier and use a foam board to insulate that portion on the wall. Does this make sense?
It sounds to me as you have this pretty much sorted.
I don't think there is any more I can add.

I'll opt of this question in case you want any other expert to comment.

Kind regards Tony
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 5 years ago.
Not clear on where you are going with this vent , but by code it must go OUTSIDE , not into your garage.