Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My dishwasher fills pauses, tries to start to wash for about

Customer Question

My dishwasher fills pauses, tries to start to wash for about a split second.. then it stops and drains the water out. on the second fill it will sometimes start washing or it might do it the third time then it runs thru the cycle. Any Ideas.....??? A new one on me...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 3 years ago.

I have seen this issue several times. The relay on the control board does not stay engaged because it is failing. When this happen voltage is applied for literally seconds.

You would need to replace the control to fix this issue. I can provide a link to the part and explain how to take the control panel apart.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We just replaced the control board recently and it has the same problem... are you saying that we got a faulty board that we just bought? The board we put in is doing the exact same thing that the old circuit board was doing.
Dang really? Well if that is the case the motor is shot. Get a volt meter and check the start winding on the motor. If 110v is present through out the clicking the motor is bad.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok... well how does it work the second or third time after it fills with water and run thru the cycle?? There is no bad sounds coming from the motor.. it pumps out fine and has no problem.. It seems to run fine the second or third time it fills... Also these motors reverse direction to pump out and then turn the other direction to spray in dishwasher right... ?
That is a great question. if you have the lower kick plate removed is there a black relay that mounts on the right side, it has three wires on it?

Yes that is correct, this pump and motor does reverse like you say.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not currently there to look at dishwasher... which relay? the start relay... I am looking at a parts breakdown and don't see it yet.. are you thinking the start relay is weak? I will keep looking on the parts break down but I only see the pressure switch, overfill switch and the water fill valve.. so far.. I will keep looking?
Yes thats what I was thinking. This model does not have one, it's built into the motor.

You have a bad motor Im afraid. You can check this with a 15 dollar volt meter from radio shack.

Let me know friend
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what is the Dual Motor switch in the door up by the control panel for? Also what am I looking for.. on the ohms meter... ? If it is running the second or third try and has for awhile.. what kind of reading am I looking for.. resistance or an open circuit???? or what
The dual motor is for the dispenser. You are looking for voltage at the start winding of the motor.

If voltage drops out the control is bad. If voltage stays present and the motor does not fire it's bad.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ah.. I see.. I guess it can only one of a few wires going into the motor... Also I cannot find the dang wiring diagram on the dishwasher anywhere. Would make it easier to trace down but I will find it ..... I know they usually hide them good.. but I can usually find them.. I used to repair appliances for a living and do some on the side.. still... for friends and family.. this was a problem that I had never seen... Thanks for the advice by the way...
Yes I don't have the schematic either. Usually it's on the kick plate, or tucked up on the bottom side of the dishwasher. It's going to be the motor I think, it's the only thing that would really cause this issue.

Check the voltage and we will know more..

Let me know friend
Experience: Factory Trained CFC Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
allright.. well thanks for your time..
Yes your are more than welcome. Have a good night, Im about to sign off for the evening.

Medic