Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician

In the drum of my LG combo washer dryer (LG wm3431hw), the

Customer Question

In the drum of my LG combo washer dryer (LG wm3431hw), the grey plastic covering over the "vanes" is breaking off. The thin grey plastic holds in place four black balls on each "vane". Some of the black balls are now missing. It doesn't catch the clothes or anything, but I'm wondering if the main body of the vanes is still secure. By that I mean the yellowish plastic parts, about 1.5 " high, 1: wide, going most of way across drum that sit underneath the thin grey covering. Are they held in place independently of the grey covering.

Also, is it a problem that the black balls are missing. Eventually they will all be gone, I'm sure.

Machine is 18 months old, I got used. Is there a problem with lint build up in these machines?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.

The vane is one assembly. The balls mount on the to push the clothes, helps get them clean. The vane has small plastic guides that are inside the inner drum. The vane is very secure, it has a tab from the inner drum locking it in place. The only way to replace the vane is to split the tubs, let me tell you that job ain't easy friend. I have done several, 3 hours or more..

Let me know your thoughts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How much of a problem is it that the black balls will eventually be gone? Will it continue to work OK -- if that is only problem?

How about other question regarding lint. Does the lint build up in this type of machine? Does cleaning the round filter thing help?

Yes the machine will work ok with out them. The unit will not work as good as it could I guess, not a biggie.

Yes you really do have to stay on top of cleaning the filter. Over time lint does get stuck in the element and duct chamber. The chambers are located on the too of the machine

Let me know friend
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you be more specific about cleaning the filter? Are you referrning to the drain pump filter at bottom left of machine or something else? If it's on top of the machine, then it must be something where the top cover gets taken off, correct?

Old owner told me he had to have a service call after a year to exactly that. He thought it was something that could be done by owner if you're a little handy, do you agree?

The filter that you need to clean regularly is the one on the lower front. That is the drain filter, it can get nasty. The filter on top should only be cleaned by a service professional. The only time the filter on top needs cleaned is if there is a heating issue internally.

Let me know friend