esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp

I have an Amana Front Load washer, model# XXXXX I am

Customer Question

I have an Amana Front Load washer, model# XXXXX I am having problems with not draining. I will start from the beginning, so get comfortable..... The machine displayed "nd", which means the water level did not drop below the accepted amount, and therefore will not start the spin cycle. I pulled the drain system apart, from tub to wall, and verified that there are no blockages. I then disassembled the water pump, which was not obstructed, and hooked it up to an alternate power source, since it runs on 120V, and it spun happily. Re-assembled, ran another load, and got the same message. Next, I checked the hose from the pressure switch, which looks to be a simple diaphragm sensor, and it is not blocked, nor is the diaphragm stuck or malfunctioning to my knowledge. However, when I had everything apart, including the front control board, I noticed a double click, spaced a few seconds apart, when I told the machine to start the drain cycle. I don't know if this is relevant, or if it is unrelated, but this is the last resort before I call an appliance expert and hand him my wallet. Thank you for reading, and if you could help I would greatly appreciate it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 5 years ago.
nd means no drain
the drainpump or the drainhose is clogged
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If you read my information, sir, you would see that I checked both, and neither the drain pump NOR the hose is clogged. The drain pump spun freely when attached to an alternate power source, and the hoses have all been checked. The problem is that the machine is not initiating the pump when it is time to drain. I need to know if this is electrical or mechanical, and what I can do about it.