Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Hi, I have a jenn-air JCB2059GES refrigerator. The fan in

Customer Question

Hi, I have a jenn-air JCB2059GES refrigerator. The fan in the top section and in the freezer section seemed to have stopped working, even though the compressor is still operating. Freezer still feels cold but the top section is warming up fast. The thermostat is set to 3 top and bottom, and there is some frost on the back panel of the freezer, due to it having been left slightly open a week ago. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Let me pull the tech manual on your unit.

Customer:

Thanks

Robert :

Okay.

Robert :

You only have one fan in your unit.

Robert :

It is in the freezer.

Robert :

Normally I would blame the frost buildup on a failed defrost system BUT you said the door was left open. How long?

Customer:

sometimes it doesn't close properly, so it's only slighlt open for say a couple hours so frost builds up on the back panel and the air vents freeze up. I cleared them, but its still frosted.

Robert :

Okay.

Robert :

I am going to recommend that you unplug the unit for 24 hours with the doors open to clear out any and all ice in the unit.

Robert :

When the unit is done defrosting plug it in and confirm that the motor is running.

Robert :

If it is not running, you will need to replace the motor.

Robert :

If it is running, it is likely that the ice building up caused the door to close improperly which caused more ice to build up and stop the fan.

Robert :

The compressor continued to run because the sensor in the refrigerator was sending a signal to it saying that it needed to keep running.

Customer:

Okay. Can I use a hairdryer to speed up the process? The freezer is full of meat....

Robert :

You can but the majority of the ice buildup is going to be behind the panels and in the tunnel located in the lining.

Robert :

With the fan being stopped you will lose all cooling in the freezer in a couple of days anyways.

Robert :

If you can load the meat into an ice chest with dry ice (or regular ice leaving the drain open) then it will stay good for the 24 hours.

Customer:

Okay thnaks, I'll get to it. Thanks for your advice!