Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

chef wall oven model No gos611 oven does not always get up

chef wall oven model No gos611 oven does not always get up to temperature suspect"hot surface igniter" as we have had trouble with igniter before. chef tech told me they are not very reliable; basically a bad design. I think he said [If I rememmber correctly] that the igniter starts to lose its glow IE does not get hot enough to ignite gas. I am wondering if the igniter has its own" temperature sensor" to sense if its hot enough before releasing gas to be ignited. I am a maintenance electrician recently retired. would be most grateful for any help.thanks RON
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you. It's probably better to repair than replace the unit in this case.