Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hello, We have a kitchen aid dishwasher that is around 8

Customer Question

Hello, We have a kitchen aid dishwasher that is around 8 years old. When we washed the dishes last night I noticed some water pooling at the bottom of the machine. It is leaking out at the bottom of the door. I thought maybe it was problem with the seal, but it seems okay. Then I noticed that that water was continuing to enter the machine through a side inlet even when the machine is shut off. I had to shut off the water supply to the machine in order to get it to stop. Any ideas? Nick
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This means that your inlet water valve has failed and will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. It's not sealing up like it's supposed to and it's the part that your water supply line from your house connects to at the bottom of your dishwasher behind your kick panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this something I can fix myself, ie is it relatively easy? Would this also cause the machine to not run properly and lead to the water leakage issue?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, this will cause the machine to not run properly and can cause a water leakage. As for replacing the part, you can do this yourself if you're handy, it just take a couple of adjustable wrenches and a quarter inch nut driver to remove the screws mounting the valve. Be sure to have the washer unplugged and the water turned off before servicing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2 more quick questions. Where do I find the model number on the dishwasher? Can I find a schematic of this area?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
The model number should be located on a sticker around the frame of the dishwasher. If you open the door and look around the frame you can see the model.

As for the schematic, if you remove the screws going into the kick panel, you can remove the kick panel and the schematic should be located on a paper taped to the back of the kick panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to ask, but no sticker on the door. Any other place it might be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
nope, that's it. And It's not on the door, it's on the frame of the dishwasher as I stated before.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got it! Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no problem and good luck.