Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a new Maytag Centennial washing machine, low water use,

I have a new Maytag Centennial washing machine, low water use, no center agitator. My problem is that it doesn't say anywhere just how much detergent to use! Instructions say you are to put the (new low-suds) detergent in first, on the bottom in the middle of the washer. It has a HUGE basket. I can't tell how full the damn thing will get with clothes until after I fill it. I noticed it wasn't washing out all the soap out of dark clothes and I got a horrible itchy rash from it, and ended up with a skin infection from scratching in my sleep. I am now using TABLESPOONS of detergent in a 1/2 load AND using the second rinse option. I just don't think the low water is enough to rinse out all the soap! So, how much should be used and how do I figure the load size????!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Are you using liquid detergent?

Robert :

Low suds unit use 1/4 of a cup for a full load of laundry.

Robert :

Measure your loads not by the water size but by how much clothing is in the unit. Clothing at 3/4 of the tub is a full load.

Robert :

The soap on the bottom really needs to be liquid because the unit will add only enough water to get the clothes wet. Always use the extra rinse option because of this. I recommend the extra rinse to everyong on this model, the Bravos and the Cabrio.

Robert :

I have been a tech for 18 years and I cannot wrap my mind around how this unit cleans like they say it does BUT many customers are happy with the units.

Customer:

Well, that's about the amount of liquid detergent I'm using now. A half full tub gets about 2-3 tablespoons of soap. Since it is supposed to save water I didn't want to use the extra rinse all the time.

Robert :

Even with the extra rinse you are saving massive amounts of water every cycle.

Robert :

The extra rinse will account for 2 extra gallons per cycle.

Customer:

OK, that makes me feel better about using it.

Robert :

Do you have extremely soft water?

Customer:

One of these days I may even get a full load in that huge basket. We do have a water softener, very hard water without it.

Robert :

lol, that tub is huge.

Robert :

Are you using softener also?

Customer:

Not in the wash, never have used that. Just use the dryer sheets.

Robert :

Good. I was going to recommend you stop and use the sheets.

Robert :

I would tell you to use 1/8 of a cup per regular load and just shy of 1/4 cup on a very full load. Extra rinse.

Robert :

Also, do you have really cold water?

Customer:

I've just always thought softener would probably get loaded up in the clothes after a while and not come clean and yes, our water is straight from a well, probably very cold.

Robert :

Soap doesn't activate until the water is at 68-72 degrees. I would use the warm water option on almost all cycles.

Customer:

OK, I'll do that. Though I think it won't let me do anything but cold for the rinse.

Robert :

Cold rinse is okay but the warm wash is what you want.

Customer:

Thanks Robert, the first straight answers I've gotten anywhere. I believe you have given me what I need to correct our situation.

Robert :

You're welcome.

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.