Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a Kenmore Series 80 model 110 36832690 it fill, motor

I have a Kenmore Series 80 model 110 36832690
it fill, motor runs but no agitation and no spin.
any ideas.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 3 years ago.

This is a very common issue. The motor coupler breaks, this plastic coupler can be replaced easily.

I can explain how and also provide a link where you could purchase the part. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I am pretty handy and have not worked for 2.5 years so this is our best shot.

Can't afford a washer or a repair man. $129.00 sears

No problem,

below is a link where you can purchase the part.

Motor coupler link

Below is a video that explains how to make this repair yourself.

Youtube motor coupler repair

If you have any more questions post back and I will assist you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you still online?

Yes,

Go ahead?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I can get it from this.

Does justanswer allow me to safe you as a primary techfor appliance questions.

Thanks for your help

I know you can, it's a straight forward job friend.

They don't allow you to save, but you can request me. When you request me there is a personal lock that I will have on the question. After that initial lock if im not on line another technician could pick the question up.

Im glad you found this service helpful, your more than welcome friend. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Experience: Factory Trained CFC Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You there.

I have installed the couple.

It looked a litle different but fit.

I have assembeled it twice and tub will not spin or agitate.

and not the moter sounds like it it trying to run but cannot turn .

Have i jamed somthing ?

Was the machine doing the same thing before? Take the pump off and see if the motor will run?

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it sounded more like the motor was running. just not turning anything.

I'll pull the pump and get back.

Ok, I'm out the door for a few, post your question. I will answer when I get back..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No go. It acts like the transmission or the drumit self are in a bind.
Interesting,

You may have a bad transmission. Take the motro back off and see if you can turn the coupler on the transmission side both ways.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did that while I had it off. It turned fine.

Is it possible the tub is locked down?

Something is binding up. Either the transmission is bad or something is stuck inside the pump. Make sure the rubber coupler part is on correctly or it would jamb the motor..

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I actually turned the pump side of the moter after it was in. I'll check the pump. where would the tub be jammed.
Right inside the pump. If something is inside you will see it with the hoses removed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pump is fine. did not occur to me that th water in the tub would some out when I pulled it off.
Oh Im sorry It didn't occur to me the tub was full. My apologizes. I suspect something is not right with the way the rubber part is connecting the two.

Check that area out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you talking about the motor coupling now or the tub?
The rubber part of the motor coupler. If you can spin the motor freely and the transmission freely it's the only thing it could really be.

If clothes were stuck between the tub this could happen as well.

You might have a bad transmission, when the tranmssion lock up the coupler will break.

Make sure you spin the transmission shaft both directions. One way is for agitation and the other for spin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - I have to run out for a while probably will not be able to get back to this until Monday night.

Thanks for hanging with me.

Talk to you Monday to let you know how I am doing.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

No worries friend, I think you will find the issue in the coupler area. Possible the transmission.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I pulled the motor and turned the tranny shaft in both directions no problem.

I pulled the agitator to check for something stuck under there. Nothing.

I am at a loss to deterine what is going on here.

Interesting,

I am to my friend. Im not sure what is going on, you say that every possible thing that it could be test good, so Im unsure as well.

I would suspect a tranmssion or jamb in the pump if the motor does not run.

Maybe a loose wire? Check the cap and connection on the side of the motor friend
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any way to get to the area between the water tub and the porcelain one? I wanted to check there for a jam.
Yes,

Remove the agitator one 7/16 screw head in the bottom. You will see a spanner nut, use a spanner wrench and take the spanner nut off.

Take the plastic splash ring on the top of the outer tub of and lift the inner basket out friend.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done everything I can think of to this unit but replace the transmission.

Guess that's where I am.

Is that a big job.

Where do you get one?

I will find one for you, the parts house is down.