Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

Our Maytag Insignia extra large capacity washer was just seen

Our Maytag Insignia extra large capacity washer was just seen by a repairman, due to streaming water leaks from under the machine, increasing noise upon spinning, a burning smell and limited to no agitation and spinning.

The diagnosis was a transmission problem with resulting water leakage and oil dilution. He absolutely did not recommend fixing due to the difficulty in task and therefore minimal $600-700 cost to repair, with a likely larger bill. He also mentioned that changed transmissions usually run into problems again within 1-2 years anyway.

Our dilemna is: we need the extra large capacity size, and we prefer the regular tall agitator and normal water usage, as opposed to the smaller capacity or HE or low water usage models that seem to be more popular now.

Can you offer any guidance in regards XXXXX XXXXX our machine, or if there is a model available that meets our needs. Any information will be greatly appreciated. We really love this Insignia and would like to keep using it. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Very respectfully,
Vonni Toyama
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi I'm Tim, I wouldn't recommend the repair 600-700 dollars is a lot of money to put into a unit and is not out of line for a transmission replacement for that unit. Typically units last between 8-12 years and frankly Maytags are not what they used to be. They have had transmission issues and also leak issues in your particular model and there is no guarantee that it will not fail again or have any other part fail in the near future. As far as a newer unit goes Maytag is now owned by Whirlpool, so anything with a Whirlpool or Maytag name on it is one and the same. Hard to recommend one particular unit because there are so many different models to choose from with so many different options to choose from. My recommendation is the simpler and less efficient you have the less to go wrong, but that's up to you. Efficiency in a washer typically reduces the water temperature and amount so the more efficient the less water and the lower the water temperature. I think the Whirlpool built models are the best, XXXXX XXXXX personal opinion, the difference between the Maytag and Whirlpool would be maybe a different look to the control panel and different options but the guts are the same.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service