Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My Frigidaire freezer is making a grinding noise. What should

My Frigidaire freezer is making a grinding noise. What should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams. Can you tell the area in the freezer the is making the noise? Have you seen ice anywhere in the freezer, on the walls?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Barry,

The model number is XXXXX
serial number 4A92915366

The sound is coming from the motor area of the ice maker. All of the sudden it just started with this loud noise. We don't have ice on the walls. We removed the bin and cleared out some of the ice in there, but that hasn't changed anything.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Hi!

When you open the freezer door does the noise stop?

Turn the temperature down until the unit shuts down. Did the noise stop then?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I open the freezer door, the humming sound becomes lower, but still just as loud. When I turn off the unit, the noise stops.
The noise seems just as loud from the fridge and the freezer sides, so I'm starting to wonder if it's something more generally in the motor?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
That helped narrow it down. When you open the freezer door the light switch is an interlock for the ice dispenser since the noise did not stop then I know thats not the problem. I was checking for a stuck switch on the ice dispenser.

When you cut the control down that narrowed the problem down to 2 fan motors and the compressor. Pull the unit out and remove the lower panel or upper panel if its built in I have been unable to see a diagram as the site is down to our wholesaler.

Once you get that panel off, the compressor looks like a black ball with tubing, that could be the noisey part or there is also a fan near that compressor check that.

Let me know,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I have the diagrams now, the site is back up., its in the rear.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The noise seems to have stopped now, but the temperature for the freezer unit keeps rising - from 0 degrees now up to 7 degrees. Does that help with the diagnosis? I'm starting to think this is something that will be beyond my ability to fix.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
That might be a clue but you really need to close the doors and leave the doors closed for about an hour to tell if its warming due to a problem or from the doors being opened.

It may be that the problem will be beyond your ability to repair, check one more thing for me. Look on the rear wall of the "inside" of the freezer. Can you find a coat of frost on that wall? Also if you need to wait until the noise returns you can save this page to your favorites and return later.

I would watch the temperatures with the doors closed up for an hour before I decided the situation has become serious.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's no frost on the rear wall inside the freezer.

The temperature in the freezer continues to go up, according to the digital reader. It keeps going up a degree at a time: 7, 8, now 9.

We don't have the noise anymore.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the freezer vents I bet the freezer fan has stopped blowing, I bet thats the noise. Also listen for the compressor to be operating. If the compressor is operating the fan in the freezer should be on.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are right: The freezer fan is no longer blowing; but the fan on the fresh food side is. I still hear the regular sound of the fridge motor running - I'm assuming that's the compressor?
Freezer compartment now up to 10 degrees - continuing to rise.
If the freezer fan is no longer working, could you give me an idea of what is involved in fixing it, and what kind of repair bill I should expect? I want to make sure I don't get hosed by the repairman.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
We charge $65 for the service call plus the cost of the part, but that price can vary greatly, some have trip charges and others charge by the hour. Even in our small town the price for a service call can be a lot more than that depending on who you call. Ask them how they charge and how much is it going to cost you for the service person to show up at your door and stay an hour. Your fan motor is factory part number 241509402 and retails for $77. When you call the service people tell them to make sure that part is on the truck.

I have arrowed the location of the fan motor below. Having the part number, knowing the problem and the drawing should help you some.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.