Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My dryer stopped working...no error codes on the screen. Looks

My dryer stopped working...no error codes on the screen. Looks like it should work as everything does what it normally does, until you press the button to start the dryer. Where can i start troubleshooting? Amana NED7200TW
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.

Did the dryer stop in the middle of a cycle? Also have you noticed that it takes longer to dry a load on timed dry?

Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No it finished its cycle. Dryer has always worked perfectly until now. I do notice the drying light seems to stay on though.

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX thing to check is the power cord that hooks to the back. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage. Two legs of 110v and one leg of 220v should be present. Often one of the wires will break or burn.

The next thing to check would be the thermal fuse. The fuse is located on the blower duct housing and it white in color. The thermal fuse should have continuity.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Voltage is good! it looked like two thermo fuses screwed to the duct with the heating element inside. Both have continuity.
Good,

Can you check the small round white one that is to the left of those two on the blower duct.

You may have to remove the lint screen and housing to check and remove the thermal fuse. The thermal fuse should have continuity as well.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The only white one there, is located to the right of the two and is attached to what looks like the heating element? Also, my wife informs me that the dryer did finish its cycle but the bed sheets were extremely hot!

There is a safety fuse that sits right behind the lint filter housing on the round plastic duct that the metal internal solid hose connects to.

Remove the lint filter and the three gold colored 1/4 inch screws from the lint filter housing. On most model the screw heads are gold..

The safety fuse has two wires that go to it and will shut off in case of an overheat condition.

Let me know your findings
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Again two more...not white, both located on the front side of the exhaust duct.

part #s

B-2

K85

Y77

and

jamestech

N3SI-K41

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Looks like the Jamestech is the thermofuse, the other is a thermostat. Both have no continuity though so I will replace both to be sure.
Yes the black one is the thermistor. The other one is the thermal fuse. Replace the thermal to fix this issue friend, it should have continuity.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, one more question. Would the thermal fuse stop the dryer drum from turning? does it basically shut the whole thing down?
Yes that is correct. Also check the dryer venting, the hose, and vent in the wall. if the dryer overheats, the thermal will trip.

Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was an accumulation of lint and crap in the elbow right where the fuse was. All clean now. Thanks for the help!
No worries friend, take care.