Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a burner that wont shut off on a ceramic glass cook

Customer Question

I have a burner that won’t shut off on a ceramic glass cook top and remains on high. It is a Frigidaire ES400 Electric Range, Model # XXXXX I tried swapping out the control switch with a similar one on the range but the problem persisted. After reviewing the schematics from the company, I isolated the wire to the left rear burner and disconnected it. This turned the burner off and allowed me to use the stove with everything else working. My guess is that it may be a temp sensor of some kind. If so, I would like to know what the part looks like, how to replace it, whether or not it can be done from the back of the stove or through the cook top itself and if so, how to get into the cook top. Please help. Thank you. Tom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 3 years ago.
Each burner has a high limit thermostat , but that's not the problem - this thermostat is a normally closed switch and if it opened the burner would not come on at all which is not your problem . If you replaced the burner control board and the burner is still heating , it has to be the burner is shorted to ground making a circuit even when the control board is not calling for it to - replace the burner
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm confused...what is a burner control board...is that the green computer part...all I swapped/replaced was the grey control swithch that pushes from the back of the stove thru to the front face. Your answer appears to assume some "burner control board" has been replaced...that is a negative.
Go to www.repairclinic.com and put in part numberNNN-NN-NNNNitk and look at the picture of this part - this is the surface unit control board . All the burners connect to this board . i think what you may have replaced is the potentiometer for the burner - the part behind the knob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know about the ptentiometer, but I swapped/replaced the switch that the control knob slides onto with no success. Are you saying that the burner won't shut off because the Circuit board or Timer (part# 316239403kitk) needs replacing, yet the other burners connect to it without a problem??

Or is it the short in the burner (your original answer) and needs to be replaced? If so, how do you replace the burner?

I would suspect the circuit board - to prove it remove the wire that goes to the burner that keeps staying on - it's marked on the board.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had removed the Left Rear (LR) burner wire fron the control circuit board earlier to shut down the burner and continue using the stove. The other three burners worked fine. I thought I would check to see if the LR would work from the Right Rear (RR) controls and I swapped the wires on the circuit board. Now both burners were working correctly but were using the opposite control switches. I switched the wires for LR and RR back to where they are supposed to be, plugged the stove back in, set the clock and the burners are now working without an issue. I can only surmise that by unplugging the stove and or resetting the clock first (something about it in the manual), it served to reset/reboot the circuit board. Anyway, everything is working fine with all the original boards and wiring. Go figure. If you have any theories...I would love to hear them. Upon your response, I'll accept all the answers you've supplied so far. Tom
Your theory is as good as any I can think of . Strange - since you've all ready had no power to the stove previously many times and it didn't help . but glad to hear back from you