The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I purchased a GE Microwave (model #JVM1540DM2WW; serial # XXXXX)

I purchased a GE Microwave (model #JVM1540DM2WW; serial # XXXXX) back in Feb 2010 and last night it is no longer heating . The light works, the glass plate goes aroud, but it no longer heats up food. Any recommendation?

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

You probably have a bad magnitron. These have a 5 year warrenty7 on them. The only problem is if you call for service and it turns out it isnt the magnitron they will charge you for the service call.

The Home Smithy :

Either way the best thing to do is let a professional handle the repair. If done incorrectly you can at best ruin something in the unit, and at worst you could caus the unit to emit dangerous microwaves.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

what is a fair price for a service call?

The Home Smithy :

Service calls range from around 50 bucks to 95 bucks. Depends on the area you are in and any possible driveing time.