MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

Stackable Maytag washer that when it is in spin it sounds like

Stackable Maytag washer that when it is in spin it sounds like a jet plane. What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 5 years ago.

Are you able to get to the rear of the unit and remove the back panel of the washer?

Not with out someone to help me lift it out of the drain pan.

Are you the owner or the tech?

owners friend.

Do you you know if the noise has gotten worse over time, or started all at once?

She says over time.

Sorry, lost the net when sending the answer. Give me a bit and I will retype it.

The best way to check the main bearing is to remove the back panel. If there is enough clearance at the top. You may be able to tip the unit forward and have her hold it at the balance point. Remove the panel and check the weep hole above the bearing. If the is seepage or metal chips coming out it is bad. You may also want to rotate the drum with your head in it and make sure the noise comes from the rear center. If not there maybe something in between the tubs.

The bearing will cost over $750 if it is a cheep repair most of the time the spinner is also bad and will need to be replaced also. Click here for part, It is part 1a. This repair takes me over 2-hours to do with my experience. Also if the motor has not been replace it will likely be coming soon. It is $400+ repair. If the unit is 8 or more years old I would recommend replacement.

Part #22004465 shell and bearing $456 with out shipping. and the spinner part #22002115 is $228