Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

my maytag oven will not heat past 100 degrees.. when I set

Customer Question

my maytag oven will not heat past 100 degrees.. when I set a temp it stays at 100 forever...the broil works and the stove works??? Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name is Tim, I can help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

More than likely it's a bad igniter. Do you have a volt ohm meter?

Customer :

the broiler works though...doesn't that ignite?

Customer :

what is a volt ohm meter

Tim Alan :

What's the model number of your unit? Most ranges have 2 burners one bake one broil.

Customer :

where do i find the model number

Tim Alan :

On the bottom of the unit or behind the control panel.

Customer :

hold on im going to look

Tim Alan :

ok

Tim Alan :

A volt ohm meter is a device that that you can use to test for voltage and resistance.

Customer :

m = MGR5765QDQ

Tim Alan :

ok thank you

Customer :

Serial - 25221240JC

Tim Alan :

ok

Tim Alan :

You have 2 different burners your broil is on top the bake burner is under the bottom panel inside the oven.

Customer :

Im confused...the website said that if I am satisfied with my answer/help I recieve then I will pay the $24 and I just got an email saying that they recieved my deposit already

Tim Alan :

More often then not a no heat is due to a faulty igniter, can you tell if it's glowing or not?

Tim Alan :

You must have paid a deposit, the full amount is paid when you press the accept button.

Customer :

no it doesnt glow or heat when I set a temp... whats the process to fix that...can you buy an igniter and replace it yourself?

Tim Alan :

Igniters can be purchased anywere and if you can use a screwdriver then you can due this repair.

Customer :

it said that I have enter my card number in order to talk to someone...but will only be used if I am satisfied with my answer

Customer :

is that how it works? you cant chat with someone until you enter your card info right???

Customer :

so how do I do the repair once I get it?

Customer :

AND how much does an igniter cost?

Tim Alan :

74008064? here is the part number for the igniter.

Tim Alan :

You remove the inner bottom panel/cover 2 screws

Tim Alan :

you take out the burner 1-3 screws

Tim Alan :

then you disconnect the plug at the igniter and then 2 screws to remove the igniter, that's it.

Tim Alan :

Takes me about 15 minutes to do it.

Tim Alan :

The igniter cost around 70 dollars

Tim Alan :

According to sears they are 54 dollars

Tim Alan :

Anything else?

Customer :

how sure are you that this is what it is?

Tim Alan :

Ninety-five percent, can't be 100 percent you don't have a meter to check it.

Customer :

Does the money i pay go straight to you??? How much goes to you and how much to Just Answer

Tim Alan :

50/50

Customer :

so if its not that I need a volt ohm meter ? what, where and how much and what do?

Tim Alan :

You can pick them up at hardware stores for around 20 bucks.

Customer :

so the broiler and the bake have diff ingniters?

Customer :

what do I do with the volt ohm meter?

Tim Alan :

Look when I get an oven no heat, I automatically go in with an igniter, open the oven up and check for voltage to it ninety-five percent of the time there is power to it and I just replace the igniter. If there isn't power to it then it is either your electronic control or your gas valve.

Tim Alan :

The igniter has an electrical connection disconnect that turn your ove on and your meter should read 120 volts.

Tim Alan :

Your broiler is working so I really doubt the electronic control or the valve is bad.

Customer :

Look...where do I get the inginter order it?

Tim Alan :

Sears has them, or any local appliance parts stores would also have them, just type in appliance parts online and it will bring up your local listings.

Tim Alan :

Did you need anything else?