Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My refrigerator freezer freezes food but ice cream is soft

Customer Question

My refrigerator freezer freezes food but ice cream is soft and ice is watery.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams. Also look in the freezer rear wall inside. Can you see any frost on the rear wall anywhere and can you hear the freezer fan operating?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model 71182100. There is no frost in the back of the freezer. I'm not sure if the fan is running or not. What I'm hearing may be the refrigerator.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I can now see it. In the rear of the freezer up close to the top but on the back wall are some vents. If you can hear anything operating in that fridge you should be able to feel air blowing out of those vents. See if you feel any and let me know.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, air is flowing out of the vents.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Open the doors and where the doors meet where they close the door gaskets touch a thin metal face is that hot? Also do you think you could pull it out?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no metal in this freezer.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The outside part I have arrowed below.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Photo didn't come through.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Let me try again
CLICK BELOW
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is not hot, and I cannot pull it out.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand. Ice cream is a great thermometer. I know its not digital nor mechanical but over the years I have learned that is the first thing you will hear from people when there truly is something wrong. Because it does get softer faster than anything else that we keep in our freezer and everyone notices that first.

Last question I think. Have you heard a buzz or a click at anytime recently?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not that we have noticed.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
There is a common problem with the model you have. There is a relay on the side of the compressor that goes bad. Usually it will buzz for about 4 seconds and then quit for about 5 minutes. Sometimes its not easy to hear. Try to keep your ear open for that.

Do you have a friend or a neighbor who could come tomorrow or the next day and pull it out for you?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a husband who can do that.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Tonight, tomorrow?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok roll it out, at the bottom on the back is a panel with 1/4 inch screws. Remove that panel and touch the top of the compressor. It looks like a black ball with tubing. Is it hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? There is a fan back there as well that should be operating is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is hot, and the fan is operating.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
As long as the compressor is not so hot you cannot hold you hand on it hot is good.

The only thing left is the cold control. It must be going bad. The cold control is the part where you adjust the temperature.

I will be right back with the part number and instructions to install that part with a diagram.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The factory part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN You can shop anywhere with that number. One place that has that online with a picture to look at is LOCATED HERE.

UNPLUG the cord from the outlet before starting. Electricity is always present in the panel where this part is located. Just remove the screws from the bottom of the panel where your cold adjustments are and lower that down. You can then see the part. Try to be as gentle as you can with the long metal probe that extends from the part, its not fragile but can be broken. Its hollow. Thats about all I can think to tell you. Change them out and plug the unit back into the outlet. Start with your temperature in the middle of your range for the first 24 hours and then adjust to your liking after that amount of time.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have been very helpful. Thanks.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using our service. I really appreciated your patience.

Take care,
Barry