Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

2004 Sears Kenmore 80 Series Clothes washer (Type 111, Model

Customer Question

2004 Sears Kenmore 80 Series Clothes washer (Type 111, Model 110.25852400). Washer won't run (washer fill cycle works fine and will totally fill with water. Also, the power/breakers have been verified to have power). When set to run however, "nothing happens". Please advise. THanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello Joe, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

The washer will not operate in any cycle?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

correct

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Do you have an ohm meter?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Great, give me just a few minutes to get a drawing ready for you.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks. (Washer belongs to my elderly parents who live a few blocks away - if you can give me the detailed process and likely suspects (points, connections to check for continuity or lack thereof, etc..) with a fairly high degree of detail (along with your suspicions of what parts or components are likely or potentially at fault). I can go over there tomorrow and try to diagnose and then buy part(s) online. Many thanks for you help. Joe Creamer

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand. I have a really good idea what the problem is but since you have the meter that will eliminate any guessing. I will post that info in detail with the part number for you shortly.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry, great - thanks very much. Please provide as much detail as possible as I am a bit handy, but not a technician by any stretch!! Take your time with reply and I will check for details/drawing etc. in the morning. Thanks again for your help. They can't afford a huge repair bill, so I am hoping it will be something relatively minor. Thanks, joe

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Unplug the washer.
Most always this is the lid switch. I posted a diagram below. The black arrows are the end caps you will see in the video that you grasp at the top to remove and the screws will be under those. Take those out and roll the control panel backwards. Disconnect the wire connector in the body of the washer under the control panel where I drew the another black arrow. This is where you will test with your meter. With the lid shut set your meter to any ohm setting, put you leads where the blue arrows are drawn and see if you get a reading. No reading indicates a bad lid switch. You may be able to raise and lower the lid to change the no reading to no reading. Most times when a lid switch starts to go you can fool with it and get it to work. Anyway the part number for the lid switch is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand one place that has that part online is LOCATED HERE.

CLICK HERE FOR LID SWITCH VIDEO.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry, worked fine - thanks for your help. Joe

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Joe are you there?