The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

samsung wf218anw washing machine on spin cycle shaking violently,

samsung wf218anw washing machine on spin cycle shaking violently, paused machine, opened door, drum seemed out of balance removed some wash put on spin only drum did not look level. when it reached high spin speed it again shook violently, stopped the cycle. Have not tried again. When I first opened door almost had a burning odor. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok try this for me. Open the door and press up on the front top of the drum. Rotate it 1/3 of the way around and again press up. One more 1/3 and press up again.
Please let me know if there is any noticable slop or diffrence between the three positions.

Customer:

I opened door rotated drum, looks oneven when I rotated from the top and the sides look uneven

The Home Smithy :

Ok. the problem is going to be either a bad main bearing or a corroded drum spider. Both are major repairs (over 500 dollars). You might want to consider replaceing the unit rather than repairing it.

The Home Smithy :

NOTE: I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that

you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with

anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Customer:

I do understand and machine is only a couple of years old. I will save your response and decide what to do this machine was not cheap!

The Home Smithy :

Sorry for the bad news.
Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances