Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

LG Washer WM0642HW will not rotate or spin. Makes grinding noise

LG Washer WM0642HW will not rotate or spin. Makes grinding sound when it tries to rotate or spin. 905KWXD01226

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.

If you open the door and spin the basket by hand. Does it make a noise or is it completely silent?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What can I do to fix my problem with this washer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does not make any noise when I spin it by hand.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.

Ok so then that sounds like the noise is probably coming from your drain pump when the washer kicks the drain pump on. Open the lower access panel door in the lower left corner on the front of the washer. Unscrew the plastic drain cap and a little water will come out so be sure to have a bath towel ready. Clear the drain catch and remove any foreign debris that might be causing the noise. If the noise is still there, you'll need to replace the drain pump itself.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Will the drain pump cause the washer not to spin and rotate.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
If there is water inside the tub yes. You can open the drain trap and drain all the water out to test.

If it still doesn't spin, you need a new stator motor on the back of your tub because it's just acting up. Below is a link to the stator motor you'd need to order.

CLICK HERE

and with a new stator motor you need an RPS sensor that clips onto it as well. Below is a link to that part.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Washer will fill with water and drain out but will not rotate or spin.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
OK then you need a new stator motor on the back of your tub because it's just acting up. Below is a link to the stator motor you'd need to order.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE