Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Our refrigerator, GSS251FRFWW, Serial No. FL242259, suddenly

Our refrigerator, GSS251FRFWW, Serial No. FL242259, suddenly stopped responding to a push on the lever for ice. Occassionally, if holding the lever in for about 20 seconds, it would start working, but not always. Now it doesn't work at all (crushed or whole). The water lever works if you wait about 10 seconds for it to start. We emptied the ice tray several times but dosn't seem to help. There is no GE dealer here, we live in Freeport, Grand Bahama, any suggestions?

Thanks, XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

The time that you are pressing the dispenser for ice, and you are waiting, is there any sound during that time?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

When the dispenser is not in use there is a sound like a hooting owl and when the dipenser lever is pushed it seems to stop. The 'hoting owl " sound did start before the dispenser stopped working.

We have always used botteled water for the fridge as our local water is very alcaline.Right from the outset we disengaged the Smart Water Filtration due to using bottled water.

Robert Cordes

Our vonage No. is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Our phone no. is 954

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Robert you need to replace the main board on the rear of the unit. There is an 8 x 10 panel on the rear outside wall. Take the 1/4 inch screws out of it and remove the metal panel. This is the main board location.

This board supplys the power to all of your refrigerator. Once you get that replaced the problem will be resolved. If you let it go the whole thing could quit working. The part number is XXXXX You can shop with that number, I would not know where to get it where you live but that is the part number you need. Also sir your model number is XXXXX That looks like a 1 but its an i.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.