Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

i have a lopi pioneer bay pellet stove insert, when i turn

i have a lopi pioneer bay pellet stove insert, when i turn on the manual mode, the exhaust fan just turns on, the auger and igniter doesnt work, my gut tell me there is something wrong with the control panel, because both units are not working, they both could be broken but my gut tells me i should check the control panel first to see if this is functioning properly, how do i check to see if control panel is working properly before i replace igniter and auger motor
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 3 years ago.

Craig :

Try this and let me know what it does:

Customer:

I have already done this, using the owners manual.

Craig :

What does it do, will the auger run?

Customer:

no, the exhaust blower runs until it times out, I believe there is a pressure switch that is involved with the augers start up as well, my thought is there is no signal coming from control panel telling auger and igniter to turn on

Craig :

Ok, we need a voltage check for the igniter power

Craig :

Have you checked the wire to the igniter?

Craig :

Are the connections tight?

Customer:

i looked and it appears both wires are on good

Craig :

I can't do much without knowing if there is power going to the igniter...

Craig :

can you get a volt meter?

Customer:

okay so where should i put the meter to the ends of wires going to igniter?

Craig :

Put the meter leads on the two wires that go out to the igniter.

Craig :

Put your meter on the AC volts scale

Customer:

okay and what should i see 110?

Craig :

yes

Craig :

120 volts

Customer:

alright give me a minute

Craig :

when it's trying to light

Craig :

make sure it's in a start up mode

Customer:

k

Craig :

ok

Customer:

yes i have 122 at quick connect that go to igniter, it is one piece, i will try to get reading at igniter

Craig :

yes good.

Craig :

It's sounds like a bad igniter, I can show you how to check it

Craig :

Make sure you pull the connector apart and look for a loose wire. Also make sure the pins in the connector are even and not pushed back

Craig :

Tug on the wires

Customer:

i was able to get it going, but i am not happy with the rate the pellets come out from hopper. I will disasemble auger and clean and make sure it is working properly. I picked up this stove for nothing and with your help and a little tlc i think i will be good to go.

Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.