Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washing machine stopped working mid cycle and is half full

Customer Question

My washing machine stopped working mid cycle and is half full of water, it is a front loader. Please help!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Are there any signs of life on the washer or is it completely dead? Also, do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the model number is XXXXX and the lights are all on, it seems to be working but the last time we turned it on it just didn't work.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so is there water in the tub still by any chance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is water in the basin. It is about 3/4 full. just brown dirty water
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
OK well that is your problem, the washer is no longer draining so it won't complete a cycle. You'll need to unplug the washer and pull it forward. Remove the back access panel and you'll see the drain pump mounted to the floor below the tub. Disconnect the hose between the tub and the washer and watch out because the water in the tub will come out. Once all the water is removed, check for any blockages. If you find nothing, replace the drain pump.

Once all the water is removed, you can start up a new test cycle to see if it works again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try this and let you know how it goes. Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is not working, there is no drain hole to be found!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I didn't say there was a drain hose, there is a drain PUMP and the hose between the pump and the tub needs to be disconnected.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YAY!! i found it and it drained. now do i have to wait for it to dry before turning it on? there seems to be wires back there!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
yes, soak up the water and if something electrical got wet, definitely wait for it to dry or use a hair dryer to dry it out faster.