Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

whirlpool top load washer fills then just hums. If I drain

Customer Question

whirlpool top load washer fills then just hums. If I drain water, washer will operate on spin cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the washer will drain and spin, but when it should agitate it just sits there and does nothing but humm, is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not know if it will agitate. The washer quit with load of wet clothes in it. I drained tub, pulled coupler, it was ok. I then put washer back together. I set knob to spin & it did. I then set control for small load & tub filled but nothing happened. Now if I set control on any setting but fill, washer hums for 30-90 seconds & shuts off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
While I had pump, motor, coupler removed, I found that coupler attached to trany turned in both directions. I also believe that the motor also turned in both direction because I moved it to line up with pump housing. I am unclear what you meant by "which should be good since it worked on agitate and not spin before"? The washer operated on spin after I drained water but has not agiated or drained on its own. Is a capacitor a DIY job?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
The motor uses the same start winding for spin and agitate, so if it worked on spin before, but the agitate didn't work, that means the winding "SHOULD" be good but that doesn't mean it is.

The capacitor is definitely a DIY job, it's easy to replace compared to removing the motor, just follow the red wire form the motor back until you see a black 4" long cylinder with 2 wires going to it, that is your capacitor you sould replace.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I spoke w/local repair shop looking for capacitor & they were willing to test both capacitor & motor for free. However, he didn't think that was the problem & suggested I check pump since I had not first time I checked motor coupler. When I pulled pump, discovered it had piece of sock in it. Removed it, problem solved.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
You said the washer would operate on spin which doesn't make any sense since the pump is attached directly to the motor so if the pump was jammed it won't work on spin or agitate which is why I didn't say to check the pump. Sounds like what you were telling me wasn't exactly what was going on.