Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My GE Profile refrigerator is running too cold (28 degrees)

Customer Question

My GE Profile refrigerator is running too cold (28 degrees) and the freezer is as well (-3 degrees). Can you tell me how to permanently reset the controls? When I press "warmer", the temp eventually changes back to the colder setting. My vegetables, fruits and beverages are all freezing.

Thank you! Staci ([email protected])
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Good morning Staci, can you get me the full model number? This should be inside the refrigerator either on one of the side walls or on the ceiling, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay great, what's going on is your main control board has failed, this is extremely common problem on these refrigerators and GE has had to redesign these boards four times in the last three years, this is the latest board and this is what you need to replace,this is located on the back of the refrigerator if you pull away from the wall you will see a panel 8 x 10" the board is right behind that panel, you can replace this yourself and it comes with instructions but there's no real special knowledge required to do this, the plugs only fit one way so it's pretty easy to replace, you can order this at this blue link. thanks and well wishes, Bryan

P.S be part number is XXXXX in case you have a local supply house you can pick one up at.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know how much the board will run?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
This board runs around $160.00, if you search the web you can find them cheaper, the place I sent you to though has a 365 day warranty and return policy on the part, which is really good to have, but that's up to you, thanks and well wishes, Bryan