Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

hi techs, i have a Whirlpool ultimate care 2 gas dryer that

hi techs, i have a Whirlpool ultimate care 2 gas dryer that doen't ignite. Is there a fuse or a reset?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you open the door and get us the full model number? Also you have a voltmeter and know how to check continuity?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mod # XXXXX sorry i do not have volt meter here, its at my shop 20 min away.
Okay that's fine, first thing you need to do this to see if the igniter is coming on and glowing, to determine this you will need to pop the little cap on the lower left side of the dryer in the front, number 39 on this diagram, once you get the cap off put the dryer on high heat and start the dryer, look through the hole and tell me if you see a red or orange glowing inside, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan there's a small port hole bottom left front about 1 inch diameter i can just see what looks like the guts of torpedo heater. Except its gas and not diesel. Well i don't see the igniter glowing or even the fan turning. what do you think Scott.
I know it's gas I've already looked up your parts, so you don't see any glowing in there at all? When you say you don't even hear the fan turning what you mean? Is the dryer starting? The drum turning?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it turn on the drum is turning but the fan down by the igniter is not turning.
Okay you will need to get your voltmeter if that's possible can you do that? I will be here for a while and while none have you do is test some of the components so we can determine whether problem is, I can show you how to do that but you will need a voltmeter, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, get back to you when i get my volt meter.

Okay great, I'm forwarding a video to you now to show you how to get the dryer apart, this video actually shows you how to change the belt but it also shows you how to take the dryer part and you will need to remove the belt and the drum to get at the parts we need to test so click this blue link and then click on the video help link, this will help you get the dryer apart quickly and then we can test it,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok im back, dryer is apart and have meter
Okay, we are going to start with the flame sensor, this is located on the side of the burner tube what you need to do is remove at least one of the wires on it and test across the two terminals for continuity, you should get continuity through this sensor, if you do we need to go on to the high limit thermostat, this however is on the burner tube in the back of the dryer which you will need to remove the back panel to get to, you will be on the side of the burner tube in the back, try testing the flame sensor first and let me know if you get continuity through that, I'll wait for your response, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
pulled white wire put volt meter on ac VHz put red and black on both poles of flame sensor and got 0000 reading
I'm not sure you checked this correctly, do you have a digital voltmeter? Or is it analog? You test this the same way you test the thermal fuse so I'm sending you a link to show you the correct way to check for continuity, it works the same on the flame sensor as it would on this thermal fuse I'm showing you this is just a video to make sure you have everything set correctly so you get the right readings, this covers both analog and digital model voltmeters, click this blue link,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
put digital meter on tone took off both wires on flame sensor got 0 have continuity
I need to run out for a little bit but will return it a couple of hours, let me know how the testings going, the next thing you want to test is the high limit thermostat, same procedure with this, it could possibly look a little different, you may have this set, checked them both, if all of these check out your igniter is probably the issue,I will be back as quickly as I can just leave any messages and I will receive them,, thanks, Bryan