Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my frigidaire gallery electric dryer doesnt dry as fast as

my frigidaire gallery electric dryer doesn't dry as fast as it did when i first got it. i have cleaned out the oulet and pipe going outside. i was wondering if the heating element might be going out and is this hard to replace?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Good afternoon, this is a single heating element in it and normally these either go completely or heat, you may have a bad thermostat however, can you do a little test? You've already cleaned the vent going outside can you tell if the air flow is real strong outside? Try removing the vent from the back of the dryer and starting it check the air flow coming out of the back of the dryer and let it run for a little while and see how hot it gets coming out the back, how long a run is your vent hose going outside? in feet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the run is about 12' --- the airflow is real good but the temp is closer to warm instead of hot. i tried that when i cleaned it out.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so just doesn't seem to be getting hot enough? Unless the heating element a shorted I believe you have a bad thermostat, there are a few of them in this dryer, testing them is difficult, you need to take the machine apart to get at them that includes removing the drum and all, the first thing you would want to do is to test the element,this will require taking the front off the machine door and all and removing the tub to get at the heating element which is in the rear behind the tub, this blue link will tell you how to test the element one she get it out, there is a video at that link that walks you through the testing procedure, take a look at the video and see if you can do this, let me know, thanks, Bryan