Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

model SAV515DEWW top load washer , clothes are too wet after

Customer Question

model SAV515DEWW top load washer , clothes are too wet after spin cycle, even after extended spin and require triple the time in the dryer . I disconneted drain hose at drum that leads down to the water pump and it was filled with water , as was the "out" hose going from pump to drain line- I suspect pump is bad or timing swich does not run pump long enough and that is bad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

There is always water in the hoses, it never fully evacuates all the water from the hoses and is a reason for that, if all the water was gone the seals and the pump would dry out in it would leak, as far as a bad pump goes on this machine it's rare that they go, however the belt on these tend to slip easily which causes the drum not to spin up to speed which means clothes will come out really wet and not rung out, the best way to see if the pump is running correctly is to get a large 5 gallon bucket keeping the drain hose up hi and fill the machine then put it in spin drain and see how fast the water comes out of the hose into the bucket, if it is a real strong flow of water come from the pump that's not the issue, most likely your belt is stretched and needs to be replaced,the timer is probably not the issue either, I would change the belt and this should take care of it, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I should have mentioned in my original post but I changed the belt a couple of weeks ago and it has not solved the problem
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, do the test for the pump what I said then and see how strong the water comes out of the machine, it's possible is a partial block in there, change I belt is a pain in the neck isn't it? At any rate when you had that out did you pull little pump and motor assembly off of it? Did you checked down in the pump when you had the hose off to make sure there was nothing in there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not look when i had the hose off because i did it through the bottom front panel and the machine is still upright , I will have to look further for blockages , it may not be today though , thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, my guess is because this pump is directly connected to the motor there is a blockage since you changed the belt this wouldn't be the issue, check carefully the pump and the hose coming from the tub to the pump and the one from the pump to the drain, you may have a coin such as a quarter or nickel or something in there that's restricting the flow of the water, I would take the hose right off the tub also and feel up in there to make sure there isn't a sock or something like that down there that's restricting the water flow, these are pretty darn good machines and it's usually something simple like that in these, also if need be put your finger into the pump and see if the impeller turns while trying to hold motor shaft still, see if it's maybe stripped, let me know, I will be on daily so just post a reply and let me know, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok , I did the pump test with a 5 gallon bucket , the water came out in a good stream but I did not fully recover the full bucket full. I would estimate about 80% to 85%. I disengaged the 2 rubber hoses from pump and could find no obstructions , just a thin coating of a slimy substance at the bends. Unfortunately my fingers are not long enough to reach in to the pumps ports and touch the impellor to test if it is stripped. What next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sounds like the pump is good, can you start the machine put it spin and put something down in the hole with the lid switch is and see how fast the spins?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the lid switch is inside the top and cannot be accessed without removing the conrol panel, but i was able to crack the lid open and peek inside with a flashlight, not having any experience for a reference , it appeared to be spinning pretty fast to me , the holes in the stainless steel tub are a blur while in motion , any suggestions?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I beleive the pump is the issue, this is all I can think of, everything else seems to be good and you already changed the belt, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question , when I changed the belt it occured to me that if i had drilled some access holes through the bottom pan to bring a screwdriver to bear on the pump fasteners , it would be much easier , I do not think some holes ( or a square cut out with my dremel) would weaken the structural integrity of the pan , any opinion?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
highly unlikely. the tension spring may have stretched over time however. you may want to check that.