Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i cant close my dishwasher door

i can't close my dishwasher door
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Good morning, have you removed you dishrack in the bottom lately ? Where does this get stock how close to being closed is it? One thing you want to check is at the top of the door where it closes there are two brackets that hold the dishwasher to the countertop, make sure the screws and the bracket are up tight to the countertop, in other words make sure it's not hitting one of the screws or the bracket itself that connects this to the countertop, also make sure the door is and hitting the cabinet sides when you try to close it, have you checked these things yet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have checked the screws on top them are tight and in place. the door is not hitting the sides.It is not closing at the top near the latch. yes we took the bottom rack out last night and the door still would not close
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so it actually reaches the latch but you can't push it in to close it the rest of the way correct? What I mean is the latch hits lock assembly but you can't go any further to get it completely closed is this right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay, on this diagram check part number 61 and make sure it's not bent down and catching the door instead of going into the latch assembly on the door, sometimes these can get bent down a bit and don't line up to slide into the slot in the door, if it is not bent you will need to replace the latch in the door, part number 96 on this diagram, you can order this part if needed at the following link 32/0130000?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0130000&searchModelNumber=GLDA696M01SS&subCompDesc=Escutcheon%20&%20door%20assembly&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=DISHWASHER&blt=11 for $19.99, to install it you will need to take all the screws out around the door and lift up the inner door liner, the switch assemblies break inside a lot and that is the issue on yours if the other part isn't bent, hope this helps thanks and well wishes, Bryan