Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Cafe CGS980S Kitchen Range thats 3 years old.

Customer Question

I have a GE Cafe CGS980S Kitchen Range that's 3 years old. The touch control panel isn't working. 
The clock is working fine but there is nothing showing on the panel but the time. No "locked" or anything. 
The only response that I can get out of any button is a beep when I press the "clear/stop" button. 
All the burners work fine and the lower manually controlled oven drawer works as well. 

Thanks for your help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

This is bad, the ERC has failed, electronic range control, this should be more to your model number more numbers can you check that and get back to me?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
EMSS is at the end of the model number. Is this a part I can order and install myself?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You can order this and install it yourself if you're real handy, the part number is, WB27K10320 it is part number 105 on this diagram, you can order it at the following blue link, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Range-Parts/WB27K 10320/0022/364/Model-CGS980SEM1SS/0432/0124002?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0124002&searchModelNumber=CGS980SEM1SS&subCompDesc=Gas%20&%20burner%20parts&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=GAS-RANGE&blt=11 thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm pretty handy but I will need some instructions if I do it. Do you know where I can get those instructions?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well if you look at the diagram you will need to remove the knobs , and there will be screws to remove the front control panel number 5 on the diagram once that is removed you are able to get to the clock, the clock itself comes with instructions so that shouldn't be a problem it's mostly wire for wire anyway but they give you diagrams, that's about all I can do one that you really need to find all the screws to take that panel off just make sure you have the range unplugged before working on it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The link you sent is the part and amount. Do you know where I can find that diagram you were talking about?
Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sure sorry about that, click this blue link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Range-Parts/Model-CGS980SEM1SS/0432/0124002/G0812236/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=CGS980SEM1SS it will take you to the diagrams, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Range-Parts/31-21319/0022/364/Model-CGS980SEM1SS/0 432/0124002?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0124002&searchModelNumber=CGS980SEM1SS&subCompDesc=Gas%20&%20burner%20parts&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=GAS-RANGE&pathTaken=partSearch&blt=11
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

no. if you just click on the blue link above it should take you right to it, does it not? If that one doesn't work try this one.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Range-Parts/Model-CGS980SEM1SS/0432/0124002/G0812236/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It keeps taking me to a parts list page with all these burner parts etc and the prices but no diagram. That is going to be the most helpful for me. If this is the page you want me to go to then maybe you know which item to click.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

can you see this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it's just a ? Icon.
Maybe you can email it to me at XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
A cabinet try another method, I'm going to put this in a link and hopefully it's got a come up when you click on it, I'm not allowed e-mail you personally, also try clicking this link which will take you to all of the diagrams http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Range-Parts/Model-CGS980SEM1SS/0432/0124002?searchedModel=CGS980S&blt=11 graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If there was a link in that last message I didn't see it, just the bad icon
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you see if thing that says view full image on the left side of the last post where there is a small diagram or all you see is an icon? I see it on this end I'm not sure why you don't see it on your end, I send you diagrams this way all the time I can understand why you can't see it unless you have a block such as a pop-up blocker on your computer that stopping you from seeing it, you can go to Sears parts select.com and putting your model number and it will bring up the diagrams then you click on the diagrams and they get larger so you can look at them at any rate what you need to do is take your knobs off and it will be screws under the knobs you need to remove and then remove the panel that covers the clock, it's hard to explain without being able to show you the diagrams do none of my links take you to a diagram at all? This is baffling to me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm using my iPad. Many if I send this to my computer I can get it. Anyway, I'm sure I can figure it out. If you van just confirm the part number for me, I can take it from there.

On another note, I'm a professional wood finisher and was wondering if it pays to sign up with these guys as a consultant? Do you get many questions? Daily? Sorry to be nosey but I'm making you earn your $18!

Ed
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
We get thousands of questions a day trust me we can barely keep up, the part number you need is, WB27K10320 , I would go into the home improvement category if I were you, if you know a lot about cabinetry and all that you may make some money on this site, I've been working on the site for three years now and every month more and more and more questions come in, in fact if I want I can work four hours a day and quit for the day if I'd like, anyway well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Bryan, I just might do that..

Appreciate your help.

Ed
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, thanks Ed, have a great weekend, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fust for future information for someone with this problem, I turned off and on the circuit breaker and it rebooted the unit and works fine now!
You might include that in your arsenal of information.

Ed
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Ed, I usually tell people to shut the power off for a half hour or so and then turn it back on I don't know why did ask you to do that, if you look at a lot of my posts that's what I tell people to do but for some reason it didn't come to me or something, that's good news, thanks and best wishes, Bryan