Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My ge profile refrigerator PSH23PSRB side by side makes a rattling

Customer Question

My ge profile refrigerator PSH23PSRB side by side makes a rattling noise for about 2 seconds when the express chill fan shuts off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Does it sound like it's coming from behind this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is similar. There is a fan behind a styrofoam cover that is covered in plastic, when i remove it the fan is running. There is a second fan at the bottom blowing into the lower drawer that is for the express chill; it is also running. The sound seems to be coming from in between the two fan which is covered by a plastice piece.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well does the fan seem to be hitting anything? If it's coming from between the two fans there are damper assemblies and there and I'll bet you it's the damper you hear making that rattling noise when it's closing, when you turn on express chill the damper opens and then when the fan shuts down the damper closes so my guess is it would be the chiller damper that's making the noise, it's almost like a ratcheting noise?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

graphic

This is the area that seems to be making the noise, is the damper behind the plastic cover?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is, this is it, part number 923 on this diagram,
View Full Image
View Full Image
this opens and closes that's what you hear when the fan shuts off this closes
View Full Image