Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Kenmore model 795.75552400, seriel 407KR00012 that

Customer Question

We have a Kenmore model 795.75552400, seriel 407KR00012 that was built 7/2004. It is a 3 door with the freezer on the bottom. There is water collecting in the bottom of the freezer, it freezes and builds up until the water finally runs out on the floor. We have to break up the ice every 4 days and then it starts over again. I had a Maytag repairman look at it and he said that it was a Sears issue-he saw way to much frost building up. Sears wants $129.00 just to come look at it. I have a feeling the total repair bill is going to be "high" and would rather put the money towards a new unit-something other than a Kenmore as we've had issues with our stove/oven and service has been an issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

If you're handy you will need to call for service on this, what's going on is your defrost drain line is clogged, or frozen, this is a very common problem on these, every eight hours your refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle, this melts the Frost from the evaporator coils which in turn is supposed to drain into the catch pan below the refrigerator, do you have some common tools like screwdrivers and nut drivers? I can help you do this repair if you do, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have the tools and would like to try to solve the problem ourselves. What do we do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay this is not really a big job except for taking this apart, what you need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer at the very back, part number 332 a on this diagram, if you have an icemaker you will need to remove that also so you can get the back panel out of there, once you have that off under the evaporator coils in the very center there is a drain hole, most likely this is covered with a sheet of ice so you may not see it but it's there, boil some water and pour it on the ice until it melts completely, when you have the ice melted enough the drain hole may be frozen as much as an inch down the tube, keep pouring water on it and sopping it up with a towel as it cools until the water drains freely down the drain, wipe the inside out really good after and put it back together, this is really all you need to do and you will be fine after that, sometimes these just freeze up it happens and this is how we fix the issue, if you think about it it's kind of a bad design water in a freezer, but it's necessary to have automatic defrost, well wishes and thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be out for a little bit but will be back shortly, if you have any further questions just post them in I will receive them, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the help, Bryan. It's a wonder the unit worked at all. It was FULL of ice when we removed the panel in the back of thefreezer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
`You mean the coils were Frost up solid?