Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

Whirlpool Duet Sport - flashing F-21, wont drain, has funny

Customer Question

Whirlpool Duet Sport - flashing F-21, won't drain, has funny sound during last load of laundry (which was not properly spun and too wet).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Tim Alan :

The drain pump is probably clogged up, there is a cleanout on the drain pump that can be removed to clear the pump.

Customer:

can you walk me through that process?

Tim Alan :

What is the model number of your unit?

Customer:

i can't find my paperwork, should i pull the machine out further and try to find it on the back?

Tim Alan :

I will be glad to walk you through.

Tim Alan :

Just a minute.

Customer:

that is fine - cleaning up while chatting so no problem

Tim Alan :

The drain pump is actually in the front of the unit right behind the lower panel, the screws for the lower panel are right on the bottom close to the floor, take those screws out and the pump is right in the front.

Tim Alan :

Also if you have a shop vac you can try and suck the water out through the end of the drain hose.

Customer:

i don't have a shop vac. i'll go try to get to the pump. once i get to it, what should i do?

Tim Alan :

Ok there is a cleanout plug that you turn counter clockwise to open, what you want to do is use the lower panel to catch the water in and just open the cleanout far enough to drible the water out, don't remove the cleanout all the way until you have the water drained out or you will have a flood.

Tim Alan :

Once the water is drain pull out that cleanout and remove the debris.

Customer:

thanks. i'm having trouble unscrewing the front. tiny bolt with almost not room... any suggestions? i obviously can't turn the machine over to get better to them. is there a skinny tool that will work for this, and i can go out today and get (by the way, i'm female, not very handy, and my husband is traveling and we have about 5 loads of laundry to do today!!)

Customer:

thanks!

Tim Alan :

I actually lean the unit back and put something under neath the unit to raise up the front a little.

Tim Alan :

I help a lot of women do this and your doing great.

Customer:

so that is ok, with the unit full of water?

Tim Alan :

Sure just tip it far enough back so you can have some room.

Customer:

thanks... my brother in law is coming over with the right ratchet set to get the front off. i assume i'll be fine from there. can i leave this chat open for a while just in case i have more questions once the front is off? he should be here in 30 min. thanks

Tim Alan :

Certainly we can leave this open, just keep me informed of what is happening.

Tim Alan :

The drain issue is what is causing it not to spin, once you have that cleared the unit should spin out fine.

Tim Alan :

When your all done, don't forget to press the accept button and leave a comment and if you need further assistance just let me know.

Customer:

is this typical of a 2 year old machine, or could i have done something wrong?

Tim Alan :

Something probably got into the pump, your soon to discover what that is.

Customer:

thanks. will be sure to accept - this has been awesome! much better than waiting all day on Monday for a service person!

Tim Alan :

And it will save you a lot of money too.

Customer:

tIM,

Tim Alan :

I'm here

Customer:

tim, i have the water drained out, and there were only a few bobbi pins and a little ball of mostly hair/lint - didn't seem to be enough to have clogged up the thing

Customer:

There is a smaller hole in the back of the thing i just cleaned out - should i fish around in there w/ something?

Tim Alan :

Something could have jammed the actual wheel up inside the pump. or there is a restriction in the actual hose, so check both tub to pump hose and the drain hose going from the pump to the drain, I have found bobby pins jamming up the pump wheel so you may need to take the pump off and check that to. If you don't find anything the pump could be bad.

Tim Alan :

If you have a vacuum with a hose see if you can suck air through the drain.

Customer:

in the soft hose from the back of the clean-out to the tub, there is something hard rattling around - could that be a necessary part, or something in there? If something is in there, i don't think i can get to it - lots of things clamping down the hose...

Customer:

i'll keep checking around

Customer:

i got the clothes out of the tub and it spins freely (by hand).

Tim Alan :

When you opened up the cleanout did the water flow out good? Or did it seem to take forevver for the water to drain out of the tub like it was restricted inside the tub drain?

Customer:

it rushed out very quickly.

Customer:

i just closed up the clean-out, put some wet clothes in and turned on the "drain/spin" cycle

Customer:

it is running fine, clothes are tumbling fine, and i presume that little bit of water is draining....

Customer:

should i test with a real cycle?

Tim Alan :

ok, see if it spins and drains.

Tim Alan :

Ok so it did spin ok.

Customer:

it is spinning great - about 10 min into the 15 minute cycle.... let's see what happens when it is at the end. maybe it was the bobbi pins!

Tim Alan :

That makes sense, you would be surprised what clogs those up and it doesn't take much.

Tim Alan :

And your doing a great job.

Customer:

ok then - that cycle finished fine, no problems. i'm considering this fixed and i'm going to do some real laundry now. thanks tim!

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service