Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my maytag performa pye4500ayw electric dryer runs but stops

Customer Question

my maytag performa pye4500ayw electric dryer runs but stops mid cycle. after a few minutes I can start it again. what might be causing this.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Good Morning and thanks for using just answer. May I have the model number please of your dryer? If
you open up the door, its on the frame, or it may be on the backside of the console. Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
PYE4500AYW
I'm sorry and apologize, you did give me the model number. Will get back to you shortly.
Please go around back of the dryer, where the vent hose is. Where it fastens onto the dryer and goes to the wall outlet, the hose must be as straight as possible, with no bad bends or kinks. Check your vent outside and clean, if its got a screen on it, discard. You will need to change the control thermostat. Its located on the blower housing in the front of dryer. Take a putty knife on each corner in the front, between the lid and front and press in. Lift top. Front has two screws right and left at top. Remove and front will tip forward and lift off. Your dryer if its restricted, will cause the safety thermo to shut down. When it cools, you can restart it. Hope this helps. Thanks
Part number for the therm. is 31001192 $23.21 at Sears.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i just completed all the above items and replaced the part and I still have the same problem. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay you say this starts and runs and then shuts off about halfway through the cycle and after a few but you can start it again? It won't start right away though will it? The problem is you motor, the motor has overload on it and when the motor overheats the overload will shut the motor down, it will not restart for several minutes until the motor cools enough for the overload to reset, if you listen very carefully you will hear a click after a couple of minutes that is the overload resetting and the dryer will restart, this is a very common problem we see it all time you will need to replace your motor unfortunately, you can see the overload in this picture it has a blue wire connected to it,unfortunately even if you could get an overload for it this would not help, the motor itself needs to be replaced. you can order this @ this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/1028915?modelNumber=PYE4500AYW thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.