Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our Maytag gas oven is displaying a F1 error. We were trying

Our Maytag gas oven is displaying a F1 error. We were trying to bake cupcakes and we got this error. My wife made a banana bread last night with no issues.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

F1 Supervisory relay enable shorted (non-cook mode); sounds alarm and inhibits cook mode if alarm fault monitor is always active in non-cook mode, and requires removal of power until serviced. Usually a bad touch pad or clock assembly (also called the ERC). Replace touchpad or ERC

This is the procedure to check to see if it's the touchpad or the ERC.

* Here is a simple test that you can do to determine whether the clock or the touchpad are defective when the display reads F1:

- Disconnect power to the range.
- Gain access to the back of the ERC (electronic range control, or "clock").
- Unplug the touch pad ribbon connector from the ERC. This will be a flat wire about 1 ½" to 2" wide.
- Make sure everything is clear and will not short out when power is turned back on. Replace any covers removed to gain access to the ERC.
- Turn the power back on to the range.
- Watch for the F-1 and listen for the beep.
- If you get the F-1 and beep, replace the ERC.
- If after approximately 60 Minutes you do not get the F-1 fault, replace the touch pad.

NOTE: Some models incorporate the touch pad and the clock control as one part so F1 = bad clock control.

Warning: If you do not feel comfortable doing this test or making this repair please contact a qualified appliance repair technician.

Hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. How much approximately would it cost if we have to replace the touchpad and/or clock?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
can you get me the full model #?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure. It is a Maytag Performa. It says advanced cooking system on the front.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay is there a bottom drawer? It will have a tag in there if it does
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model: PGR5710BDW

Serial: 11565318ZM

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Does your clock look like this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay there's good news and bad news, I guess it's really all good news, no reason to do the test on this one it's the one that has a touchpad incorporated into the clock or whats called the ERC, electronic range control which is actually the clock, this runs around hundred and $154.00 but at least you don't have to worry about making mistake on which part you need to buy, I can get you the part number which is, 5701M426-60 but the place I found it doesn't ship to Canada, so you will need to find that at a local supply house or online appliance parts company in Canada, otherwise it will cost you a fortune to ship it, hope I've been helpful, thanks and well wishes and have a nice weekend, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. You have been most helpful.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome, please leave feedback after you press accept if you could, have a great weekend, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.