Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Maytag Model LAT8426 will fill to a certain level and the

My Maytag Model LAT8426 will fill to a certain level and the start to drain and fill at the same time never getting any higher. Sometimes I could turn the level down and it would stop filling but no longer. HELP!

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay there's really only one reason why this will happen, the water is siphoning from the drum either from the drain hose being too low behind the wash were goes into the drain,(the hose should be up at least as high as the control panel) or your drain hose is too tight in the drain behind the washer, what I mean by that is there is no airspace where the hose goes into the drain pipe of the house, there needs to be air around it so will create a siphon affect and drain the water as it fills, is your hose low in the back of the washer where goes into the drain? Is the drain hose taped where goes into the drain of the house or real tight in that drain? Also the hose cannot come out of the back of the washer and go below the tub and then back up again that's not the case correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK - My husband is checking...
ok let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The hose is in the same place it's always been I've used the washer for years with the same hose this is a new problem intermittently over the past few months. Turning the level knob would occasionally stop the fill cycle, but not any more.
Okay to me a favor first off how high up is the hose behind the washer? Is there a big loop in it that goes to the floor and then back up to the drain? Can you lift the hose up out of the drain get a big bucket and hold the hose and the bucket up high then try filling the machine and see if it does the same thing? This will tell us if we are on the right track, let me know even though it didn't do it before doesn't mean it can't start doing it, sometimes the drain will have something to do with it so try the bucket trick and see if the washer fills without draining, if it fills up in the water drains out while it's filling then it has to do with the drain system, if water starts coming out into the bucket just shut it off and let me know, make sure you keep the bucket higher than the top of the machine if it will reach that high or at least as high as the hose will go, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once the fighting stops we'll try it!! Thanks!!
I hope I'm not causing a fight! Let me know soon as you see if it works, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HOLY CRAP!! You were right, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you. My husband was ready to buy a whole new machine for a simple fix!! You were awesome!! Thanks again.
That's great! I've seen this a 1000 times, you need to make sure you either shorten the hose up if its to long and hanging on the floor or raise the drain pipe up if possible to meet it higher than the back of the washer, good job I'm glad you didn't have to spend the money on new machine at have a great weekend and thanks, Bryan