Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hotpoint Washer Model VWSR4160G2WW, right off the docs that

Hotpoint Washer Model VWSR4160G2WW, right off the docs that came with the washer. May use VWSR4160GWW, that registers on google.

Description of problem: Tub does not spin. Water drains, tub can be manually turned both directions, spins freely. Water enters. All topside switches appear to work. When spin feature engaged, you can hear the motor hum, and a clicking noise can be heard.

Any ideas?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

is this agitating?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Honestly do not know. Did not cycle that portion of the machine. I am assuming that if it will not spin the empty tub, it will not aggitate the tub with clothes + water. This is a belt driven model. No mech connection between the motor and the tub except the belt.
You will that's the problem with these machines, the motor has an inverter on top that fails on these, you may have seen it it looks like a control board, you can see it in this picture, I'm afraid you motor and inverter have failed, this is an expensive part but you say this is new is that correct? If so it will be covered under warranty and I would not do much with this for fear of voiding your warranty, this motor reverses directions for agitate and spin in the inverter board controls the whole thing, if you're hearing a humming any clicking minutes going to be a problem with this motor, if this is under warranty I would call them immediately and get service right away, this motor is over $245.00 and you shouldn't have to pay for that if this is new, if this is not under warranty you will need to replace it unfortunately, hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was purchased 10/21/2009, 17 months ago. Believe it was a 1 year warranty on the motor, 10 year on the transmisison.

I'm not sure on that, I would check in manual to make sure if you still have it, the meantime did you have the front off of this unit? With the lights blinking on the board on top of the motor?