Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

why do i have to hit my oven on the bottom to make it come

why do i have to hit my oven on the bottom to make it come on....i open the drawer at the botom and the heater element is glowing brightly....i have replaced the element before but it was glowing then....i just replaced the valve because we thought it was sticking....well i still gotta hit it around the frame of the door after the element has been on for a while...then the valve opens.....sometimes we can just lite one of the stove burners and the oven valve will open......HELP!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

You have replace the oven igniter in this already? When was this replaced?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe it was about 4 years ago.....seems like it wasn't even glowing then tho....i know it takes ???milliamps of current flow thru to energize the valve.....i lost the manual so i don't know the exact number but when i did have it i put a meter n series with it and it was pulling the correct amount of current
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you use the oven a lot? These igniters if you use the oven a lot can burn out and not draw enough amperage to open the safety valve, typically these are only good for about five years need to be replaced again, depending on the use, however you saying you have to tap the oven makes me think it's a loose connection, when you put the igniter in four years ago get it just plug in or did you need to cut and splice the wires?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i don't remember if i had to splice the wires. i can certainly take it back apart and check the connections on it. also it lites sometimes if we light a burner on the stove top like its reacting to a change it the pressure at the valve...iv'e also seen it barely open and there just be a small flame coming out of the stove burner like as if the valve was stuck.....i have hit it during this and the gas valve opened up all the way. usually after you hit it once for the use it works fine until your are done cooking that stuff....then you have to start it the same way again the next time you use it.....we probably use it daily
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That is strange, the top burners shouldn't really have a lot to do with the oven lighting but it can because as you call for more gas the pressure does change in maybe it changes just enough to open the bottom valve in the oven(the safety) you said you replaced the valve so I doubt that's an issue, my guess is either you have a bad connection something loose, or you need to replace igniter again, these do need replacing about every five years so you're not too far away from that at this point anyway, make sure you unplug the range before doing any work on as of sure you already know thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will give that a try Bryan. Gotta let it cool off a bit first tho...i've been trying it all this time doing different things each time. Whats really peculiar is that it works fine after getting it started until the next use. If this works out, how can i get back in here and hit the accept button?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well just come back and post let me know, just leave the question open, once it heats up the valve opens easier so the igniter could still be weak, but once it's warmed up like I said it could still open the valve easier, I get the feeling if you don't find a bad wire or loose connection you will need to replace igniter again, just come back and let me know, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.