Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

JUST INSATALLED ICE MAKER MODEL #D7824706Q IN A MAYTAG REFRIGERATOR

JUST INSATALLED ICE MAKER MODEL #D7824706Q IN A MAYTAG REFRIGERATOR MODEL #MTB1954AR. WHEN THE ICE MAKING CYCLE STARTS, SOME OF THE WATER DOES NOT GO INTO THE ICE MAKER BUT RUNS OUT THE BACK AND ONTO THE FLOOR OF THE FREEZER.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

is the ice maker overfilling? does it put to much water in or is it comming from the tube in the back?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The water is coming from the tube.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Have you checked the tube to see if there is ice in it? Sometimes these will get partially blocked and as the water comes in can spray over and down into the freezer section, try removing the tube and running it under hot water, this should come right out the back if you pull refrigerator away from the wall and pull the tube out, try that and let me know,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The tube is open-no ice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Is the icemaker working correctly? Making full-size cubes? How often does the water go down to the bottom of the freezer? Is it like once an hour or so? Or does it take quite a few hours before this happens like eight hours?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ice maker is working correctly. It cycles in a little over an hour. It isn't making full size cubes because some of the water ends up on the bottom of the freezer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I think I me know what's going on on the back of the icemaker with the tube goes into the cup to the circle through the hole make sure the tube isn't going into that cup to far and is up against the other side of the cup this will cause the water to spray up and over it out of the cup, the other thing is make sure the tube is far enough into the cup, if it's not actually totally through the hole water will drip out of the tube and down to the bottom of the freezer, you can see the top on the right side of the picture and in the cup there is a divider the tube should just about reach that divider I wouldn't put it right up against a divider however, check these things and also make sure the to doesn't have a crack in it, what was the reason for replacing this icemaker to begin with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Looks like the tube may not be into the back of the ice maker far enough. Can I just replace the tube or what do I purchase that will include the tube and from who. I got the ice maker from Sears. What holds the tube up against the back of the refrigerator. Looks like this one is about 1/8 in. short.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

thats the problem, you will need to extend the tube with a piece of rubber tube or plastic tube extension, I would take your fill tube to Lowe's and get a piece of plastic tube like the one shown above and extend your tube about a half-inch, just get something that slides over your tube snugly and slide it over your to and cut it so it extends into the cup about halfway, if you have an appliance parts store nearby they will have these extension tubes, this will take care your issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan