servicegeek
servicegeek, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been a service tech for over 10 years at a leading service company.
47503688

I have a fischery&paykel smartload dryer that i need to replace

Customer Question

I have a fischery&paykel smartload dryer that i need to replace the bearing in, how do i remove the bearing shaft to replace this also.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  servicegeek replied 5 years ago.
Hey i will help you. I replace these all the time and normally if the shaft looks ok ,i do not replace it.I normally just replace the bearing from the inside of the drum. If you want to replace the shaft ,remove the top lid . Just raise the lid up and pull it off. Now you will see the rubber plugs in the front at the top. Remove these and remove the screws under them. Now, the whole top assembly will raise up. Remove the 2 screws holding the front panel on and remove the front panel. Now unplug the blue connection from the control board and tilt the whole drum assembly forward. Now, you will be able to get to the screw on the right side that is screwed into the shaft. Like i said i normally don't replace this if it looks ok. It will not hurt anything if you don't replace it. Hope this helps and please remember to click accept. Thanks David
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the screw has no head on it for me to remove, do i need a special tool. And does the bearing fit tight against the shaft. It would seem that I would need a hammer to tap this into place on the old shaft and the new one.
You will need to use a large allen to remove the first screw and the round cover . Now there are 5 or 6 Phillips screws you will need to remove and the disk with the screw holes will come off. Now the bearing will come off the shaft. No special tools are required. Hope this helps and please remember to click accept. Thanks David
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no hex hole in the screw for an allen wrench just 2 notches on either side of the large brass screw
Are you looking at the screw on the inside of the dryer on the right side? If this is a top load dryer it doesn't have a brass screw. Is this a top load dryer or a front load dryer. Can you give me the model number on the dryer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a topload dryer, i have the inner assembly out and just need to get the shaft out. I took the front panel off and there is the Large brass screw that goes through the center into the bearing shaft. It is a smartload top loading dryer.it is referring me to the smarload service manual part number 517760b section 7.27 to replace the bearing shaft.
Ok You will need to try to use a pair of vise grips to hold the screw and sometimes you are able to stick a socket through the inside of the dryer to break it loose. I will check back with you tomorrow because i am about to go to bed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, thank you and have a good sleep
Did you ever get the shaft replaced.