Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport dryer. It will power on, let

I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport dryer. It will power on, let me select whatever I want....but when I hit the start button, you hear the door latch, but the dryer will not spin....it does nothing. What can I doo to trouble shoot this and fix it myself? I will be my wife's hero if I can get this thing working!

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get me the full model number? Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WFW8300SW00 ??
ok, this is coming up a washer are you talking about a washer? You said dryer in your first post,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok...I looked inside the door....it say WED8300SW0

That's better, okay the dryer doesn't have the door lock/latch that just shuts it doesn't really lock so that's not what your hearing when you press the start button, is it more like a click?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yeah...click. I just shut the door, turned the power on, hit start and you hear a faint click...and then nothing happens. Relay switch???

When looking at the service manual right now give me a few minutes to get a look at this and I'll get back to you shortly thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No problem....go for it
I believe you thermal fuse is blown, it's number 38 on this diagram, it is located on the blower assembly you will need to get inside the dryer to get to this, these can be a pain to get to. do you have tools?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeah...I have the tools. I also found a wed site that shows a video on how to disasemble the dryer..
Okay well you can really just remove the bottom panel under the door and get to this, there are two screws at the bottom of the bottom panel you remove to open up the access panel, once you get that off the thermal fuse is white and looks like this and it's on the top of the blower assembly between the blower and the drum, this is what I would start with,unplug the dryer before removing this panel and once you have the panel off look towards the middle between the drum in the blower housing on the top of the blower housing, if you don't have a meter to test this with you can temporarily take the wires off of it and tape them together this will bypass the thermostat, then you can try the dryer if it starts that's the problem however you will need to replace this before using the dryer, this is a safety fuse and it needs to be replaced you can't leave it bypassed, let me know if you get that far and I will send you a link to order the part if that's what it is if not we will go into other things, do you own a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't have a voltmeter....but one of my electrical engineers at work told me to try the same thing....but I trust you more since this is your line of work. I will work on this tonight. Can you send me the link for the fuse anyway?

Thank you for your help. First time I have used anything like this....Christopher

Sure, here is the link, just click the blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/2986 let me know if it starts, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey Bryan...you helped me today with my whirlpool dryer. I connected the two wires together from the relay. The dryer did not come on. However, a F 01 code flashed up. I looked it up, and it says my control board is bad. I guess I need to replace that. Thanks for your help anyway. Christopher...
ok, sorry I had to go off line last night, I was going to get to the control board but was hoping it was simplier than than and less expensive, you always test the other parts first, I'm glad the code came up that at least tells you the problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hey Bryan

This thing is pissing me off. I went and bought a new control board today, and installed it. Still nothing. But now it gave me a F 02 fault code. I looked it up, and not sure I understand that one. Did I replace the wrong control panel? I did the one mounted next to the drum....not the one on the actual control panel. I figure that one is lighting up, and you can run through all the controls. The drum just won't turn on. And when I do hear that "click" noise, it is on the control/computer board next to the drum.

Any other ideas? Am I going to end up calling a local guy to come out?

Boy I don't blame you, the F02 code refers to a user interface mismatch or a stuck button on the keypad, this is what it says, keypad user interface failure, at this point you may need to call for service, one thing have you found the service tech sheet inside the dryer yet? Is that what you're going on? Inside the dryer either taped to the wall underneath in a plastic bag or under the top there will be a tech sheet with diagnostic procedures have you found that yet?

It looks like your tech sheet is under the top, number one on this diagram,
View Full Image
there will be screws along the back of the top panel you take off and then lift the top slightly at the back and pull back to get it loose from under the top of the control panel, the board should be there