Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 1997 Kenmore side by side ref with icemaker. I am

I have a 1997 Kenmore side by side ref with icemaker. I am relatively sure the water line to the ice maker is not leaking, but every once in a while water will come from under the ref. Perhaps a cup or two. It is like it is slowly building up and then releases the water. Happens every two weeks. We have hardwood floors and I really would like to fix this water leak problem. Any ideas of where the water is coming from?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Is there ice under the basket in the bottom of the freezer? can you look inside the fresh food section and find the model # ? it will be on the side wall or the ceiling on a tag. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, wasn't sure how the system worked and I left the site for a minute. I will go get an anwser to your question right now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No ice in the bottom of the freezer. Some ice on the side and behind the ice basket when it is full. Model # XXXXX / Serial # XXXXX / Type: C27SSA97 / Kenmore Coldspot
sorry but the model # XXXXX come through can you resend it with a space between each # ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1 0 6 5 7 7 6 2 7 9 0
ok got it 10657762790 let me check the diagrams,I'll be back shortly, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I will wait to hear from you
when you say the water is comming out under the refrigerator which side do you see it comming from?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I is always from under the side of the freezer where icemaker is located. Maybe a cup of water every two weeks. It is like there is a very slow build up of water and then it overflows the catch pan and comes out from under the freezer side.
ok but theres no water inside the freezer correct? no sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer inside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No build up of ice inside the freezer compartment.
take the back panel off # XXXXX on this diagram and take a look at the drain tube for your defrost system # XXXXX on the diagram, make sure its dropping the water into the pan, also you need to check the plastic water lines and valve for leaks, a lot of times these will have a pinhole and the water will spray out and come out under the refrigerator. if you cant find one you may have to shut the main waterline off to the refrigerator and see if the water stops, this will isolate the problem. if the water stops comming out its a waterline issue, if not its a defrost drain issue, sometimes this is the only way to find which system is leaking. pull the refrigerator away from the wall to do these tests.