John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

my old Moffatt propane oven at the cottage never worked properly.

my old Moffatt propane oven at the cottage never worked properly. I light the pilot and turn oven on at 400 It work for 10/15 minutes Than everything cuts off (oven and pilot) What is wrong ? Thank You
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Your oven has a thermocouple at the pilot assembly, which, when heated, acts as a flame proofer. It sends an electrical signal to the gas valve, telling it to open. Over time the part wears out and the signal gets weaker. Yours is the same type that's used in water heaters, so you can find a replacement at most hardware stores. The sensing bulb slides out of the pilot bracket, and it has a jam nut where it attaches to the gas valve.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The thermocouple has already been changed (last summer) I believe something else may have gone wrong...Do you have a solution....Thanks again

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
If the thermocouple is good, the only component left is the gas valve. In order to get parts information, I'll need a model number. All technical information on the internet is keyed to the model number. If you can't find the model number, you'll need to go to, and discuss your problem with one of their customer service techinicians.