Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My whirlpool dishwasher wont drain properly. at the end of

My whirlpool dishwasher won't drain properly. at the end of a cycle there's a lot of water in the bottom. When I press the "cancel/drain" button, instead of draining, it begins swirling water through the arms.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There is a common problem with the drain check valve clogging up on this washer. If you remove the kick panel below the door and unplug the dishwasher or turn the breaker off, you can access the drain hose and the plastic tube that it connects to attached to the front right corner of the pump assembly. Disconnect the drain hose (all the water in the tub will come out), then you can unscrew the harde plastic tube called the check valve. Below is a link to the picture so you know what I'm talking about.

Unscrew this part and then clean it out in the sink with a toothpick and running water.